164 overhead console cracked

Started by Joe Garra, October 19, 2013, 09:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Garra

The main section fell out this morning, so I've just unplugged it. The sticky black surround is cracked in multiple places. Is it easy to remove? I'll need to check the one in the spare car to see what condition it is in. Does anyone have any suggestions on repair/replace? My technical ability is limited to knowing which end of a screwdriver to use :-)
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

VeeSix

They are secured via the top side of the interior roof, if you are not removing the interior roof you will have to sort of loosen the front section and bend it down, tedious but if you take your time easy enough, just do not bend too much and crack the interior roof

If you have a spare 164 with a good one in it and the roof colour is the same or it does not matter to you just swap the entire roof, just need to remove the trim and some plastic securers  :)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

Joe Garra

Giulietta QV
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

alfafarm

Hi Joe    I know this one well I have one and  did have two 164qs  One with and one without a sun roof there is a difference in the overhead consoles also the i64 auto is different again unless its 91 or later. The sticky is the sprayed on leather grain effect plastic also afflicts the seat switch surrounds. The console is attached through the headliner card so to do it correctly you have to pull it all out not that difficult If you take your time lots of plastic bits to break.good time to get headlining replaced. You will also probably find the half round vinyl piece the runs across the front above the windscreen will be in trouble. Once you have the bits in your hand you can clean off the sticky stuff with metho or the like. Stick all the bits back together if you can backslab the breaks where you can with araldite or the like. To cover the cracks I used thin leather hide offcuts from a black hide that used for 105 consoles etc. This stretches and moulds really well use contact cement stretch snip and fit.  I also did the seat switch panels with this. When I bought the hide it was called motor cycle jacket leather. There are a couple of tanneries in Melbourne who have something that sounds like it I hope so as I have another six or seven 105s to do.Its a big fiddle but time and patience will prevail as surely someday someone will realise the rarity and value of these understated falcon and commodore eaters.  john

Joe Garra

Thanks guys. Mines the Q without a sunroof. The headliner sags quite a bit, so may be an opportune time to fix it all.
        Giulietta QV
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

alfafarm

Hi Joe  I forgot the q console has some elect bits associated with the climate control like the sensors ih exterior rear view mirrors like I said the q is a much different animal to the 164 auto.  john