Temperature guage problem..

Started by abhi, March 01, 2008, 07:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abhi

hi,
i jst bought 156 2.0litre monza selespeed sedan,
driving in past couple of days i m Experiencing problems with temp.
Now,
when the car is in motion the temperature guage on dashboard shows normal arnd 50degrees,
but as soon as i m on red light or stuck in traffic the temperature rises to 90 degrees,
but again whn its in normal motion the temp. drops back.
i have filled with coolant and oil as well, its all there perfect.
but then why does it do like this.????
similarly the oil warning light on dashboard,
it flashes on and off (fast) while at traffic or signal for a bit long time otherwise as soon as car is in motion its off.!!

can anyone please advice me on why is this happening..or is it normal to be like this,
regards,
abhi.

Jekyll and Hyde

Quotewhen the car is in motion the temperature guage on dashboard shows normal arnd 50degrees,
but as soon as i m on red light or stuck in traffic the temperature rises to 90 degrees,

If you mean coolant temperature, 50 degrees is NOT normal.  It should sit around 85 to 90 degrees celcius in any car - if it sits at 50 degrees it sounds like your thermostat is stuck open.

Quotesimilarly the oil warning light on dashboard,
it flashes on and off (fast) while at traffic or signal for a bit long time otherwise as soon as car is in motion its off.!!

Means one of three things (not sure on what warnings the 156 has as standard):
a) Oil level low
b) Oil pressure switch for light faulty
c) Oil pressure low (try an oil a little thicker than recommended, and see if it stops)  This would definitely explain it going out on the move, as increased engine RPM means the oil pump spins faster and pressure goes up.

abhi

thank u soo mch for that...mate.!!

also is it ok to put in normal unleaded petrol in the car..does tht contain "ron 95" or should i be using high end petrol,
and any recommended engine oil. i heard i should be using only Mobil engine oil.

regards
abhi,.

Jekyll and Hyde

Quotealso is it ok to put in normal unleaded petrol in the car..does tht contain "ron 95" or should i be using high end petrol,

Well, over here the octane rating is usually written on the pump, not sure about South Africa.  Our regular unleaded is only 91 octane, then we have a mid level of 95 octane and premium is at 98 octane.  Not sure what the normal thing is for you guys, but I'd say definitely run premium (high end) in it, especially in the hot weather.

Quoteand any recommended engine oil. i heard i should be using only Mobil engine oil.

Oils tend to be more to do with personal preference, I reckon in general as long as you use a reputable brand you are doing alright.  I use Penrite myself, I find it gave my Range Rover a bit of an increase in oil pressure over the Castrol stuff that I had in it, but again, you probably don't have Penrite.  Mobil should be fine, just make sure you use at least the correct viscosity for your weather (check the owners handbook).  Since you have a flickering oil light, if you're in a hot area and someones used oil of a lower viscosity, this can cause lower oil pressure.