Beninca Turbo Alfetta Ready For Noosa Hill Climb

Started by brook308, May 30, 2013, 04:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

As a matter of interest regarding the head gasket failure. Is that a standard Alfa gasket you are using and how much boost is involved?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

brook308

Quote from: MD on June 21, 2013, 07:47:59 AM
As a matter of interest regarding the head gasket failure. Is that a standard Alfa gasket you are using and how much boost is involved?

Standard Reinz gasket, no o-rings, 9 psi non intercooled. Saw the same kind of gasket damage when I had a faulty stock Bosch distributor and high compression shaved head.
I've backed off on advance by 5 deg and run 1:1 boost/psi retard.
Got some bp100 leaded race fuel today as well to help. The bp100 is just returned avgas that is out of date/spec for aviation use.
Funny thing is the fire ring on Reinz I just put in is wider than the three that I have used over the last few years. The part number is the same so maybe it's a production issue. I could tell the difference as the fire rings on the head side of the gasket were almost touching but on my other Reinz gaskets there was a distinct gap.

MD

Did you re-tension the head after the initial engine running in period? How can you be sure it was detonation?

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

brook308

Quote from: MD on June 21, 2013, 06:40:52 PM
Did you re-tension the head after the initial engine running in period? How can you be sure it was detonation?
Yes retentioned as per Spurrel specs. Fire rings were dimpled and had others more experienced than I tell me it was detonation. All 4 cylinders showed fire ring deformation, 1 & 2 were the worst. It's like the fire ring is compressed and you can see a sharp edge in places. The last time I saw it on a reinze was when I lost a stock piston ring land on #2 on a hi comp na Nord.

brook308

Righto then ready for the Noosa Hillclimb, had to increase the jets from 165 to 175 which then gave me 11.5-12 :1 air/fuel on boost full load 3rd and 4th gear.
Head is now torqued to 110nm with standard reinz gasket, timing has been backed off by 5 deg with a total of 25 btdc with +1psi = -1deg boost retard.

Avgas seems to work well, no hesitation, idles well, starts well.

Will report on how things go, fingers crossed it makes it through the weekend.

MD

QuoteHead is now torqued to 110nm

I hope your studs don't stretch..

Best of luck with it.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

brook308

Quote from: MD on June 23, 2013, 07:46:53 PM
QuoteHead is now torqued to 110nm

I hope your studs don't stretch..

Best of luck with it.

Hopefully my pain may be someone else's gain, Sharing this information and being honest about the steps taken may help someone who is looking at going down the same path.
May not be that many people though as I have already had my sanity questioned several times re trying to turbo blow through carbs.

hammer

We appreciate you sharing it George. Plenty of us harbour the secret desire to run a turbo engine but few of us have the commitment to make it happen.

Cheers mate,

Brent

brook308

Quote from: hammer on June 24, 2013, 06:32:58 PM
We appreciate you sharing it George. Plenty of us harbour the secret desire to run a turbo engine but few of us have the commitment to make it happen.

Cheers mate,

Brent

Thanks Brent,

Need my head read, I rebuilt a 3 litre v6 for a mate and it hauls, the performance between the v6 and the turbo weren't too far apart, the v6 lasted all day, I made a lousy 3 laps.

17fitty

Keep up the boost George-awesome youve done it.Neighbours say it sounds fantastic.See you on the weekend

brook308

Well it's 6am and the outlook is not good, looks like a couple of wet runs today at the hill. With roughly double the hp of last year plus a wet track,  mmmmmm, hope we're not in the shed tonight fixing panels and suspension!

brook308

Results

Over 2000cc Sports Cars

1st Nissan 180 sx
2nd Alfa Gtv 3.0
3rd Alfa Gtv 2 turbo
4th Lamborghini Gallardo

Very happy with the weekend, both cars performed well, the turbo held together, smiles all round.
Thanks to the Noosa Classic and MG car clubs for another great event!

hammer

Well done George. So glad it all came together for you.

Now you and your mate need to lock in September 8 for the Festival Of Italian Motorsport at Lakeside, to come racing with us. Don't worry mate, the gods of Lakeside haven't put a curse on you - although they do like messing with your engines.

Cheers,

Brent

brook308

I'd say my mate will be there in the V6, next event for me is Leyburn in August and then Noosa again in November.
In the mean time I've got to finish my sons GTV6. Never thought I'd say I'm a bit tired of working on Alfas.
After rebuilding the turbo and the 3L V6 and then the turbo again I'd just like to enjoy driving them not getting under them!

Darryl

There's some trackside video from The Hill (George does make a couple of appearances - interesting line off the start, but not as amusing as the V6...) here: http://youtu.be/gcfJQC2r2b4?t=3m3s. Nice cold damp air for the turbo...