Poly vs Standard bushes

Started by Alfamania, May 09, 2013, 10:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

For transaxle applications, I wouldn't use poly stuff in other locations than the front and rear sway bar mounts and links for a road car.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Beatle

Quote from: MD on May 25, 2013, 05:16:34 PM
For transaxle applications, I wouldn't use poly stuff in other locations than the front and rear sway bar mounts and links for a road car.

Is that due to harshness of the poly MD?    I guess some of us are more sensitive than others but I've always found poly allows to much 'buzz' through to the body and through the seat of my pants.   Also find it makes for a very harsh ride at low speeds; nott too bad at higher speeds though.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

MD

Yeah hi Paul,
I see the new Paul has hit the scene. :)

Ah, I suppose it all comes down to what it is that you are trying to achieve and on the surface that would be obvious. Better performance. All well and good, but what is the application, road, race or rally? Each one of these uses requires its own applications to achieve that so called better performance.

Hence my brief point regarding the limited beneficial use of poly in road cars. Yes control is important but undue harshness for a road car is counter productive and unnecessary. If you are the sort of person chasing ultimate responsiveness even in a road car and accept the harshness as a trade off then stop pissing around with poly and go straight to rose joints and be done with it. Just remember that to make actual beneficial use of your newfound sharpness over and beyond what you would achieve with rubber whilst driving on the road, you are likely to be visitng a jail cell a lot more often than you think. That much close tolerance is just totally unecessary for legal driving around the streets. But yes I know, nobody will agree..

So to repeat myself for clarity. First determine the application and only then follow through with the modifications. A lack of clarity will simply erode your bank balance for little gain (if any.)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0