Alfa V6 12V oil Preferences

Started by Alfamania, May 02, 2013, 03:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfamania

I just wanted to ask what type of oils is everybody using on their old school V6 12Valve motor. I was recommended Penrite. According to Manual, use either 10-50 full synthetic or Mineral 20-50

Any suggestions? Thank you
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Mazda Rx7 13B Extend port -Turbo
Ford XE ESP 5.8
Mazda RX-4 Coupe 13B Extend Port

aggie57

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Neil Choi

Ahhh, the old oil discussion.

I too would say HPR30.

I would also ask why not synthetic.  Like Penrite Racing 10 (a 40 weigh) or 15 (50 weigh).

Synthetic can't hurt and makes you feel better, perhaps.  But lightens your wallet, but then again, cheaper than an engine rebuild.

Steve S

I just looked up the spec for HPR30 and my eyes just about popped out of my head. Why would anyone use such an oil, is it cheap? That stuff would be like glue when cold and it's a nothing special mineral oil.

What sort of use will the car see?

Neil Choi

Quote from: Steve S on May 03, 2013, 12:23:32 AM
I just looked up the spec for HPR30 and my eyes just about popped out of my head. Why would anyone use such an oil, is it cheap? That stuff would be like glue when cold and it's a nothing special mineral oil.

Good healthy discussion.  Please educate some of us,   what would be your reasons for rejecting HPR30.  I am not agreeing or disagreeing, I am asking for the reasons so to gain knowledge.   What specifications would you be referring to ie obviously viscosity, others?  People get influenced by advertising and name and hype, that's all.

I chose Racing 10 or 15 for viscosity (40 vs 50 respectively) and Zn content.  Was actually thinking of going to 40.

I would agree that HPR30 might be a bit on the thick side but depends on end use.

aggie57

Quote from: Steve S on May 03, 2013, 12:23:32 AM

Well, actually I've always used it in Alfa's because it works.  Oil to me is like a cake recipe.  There are so many variations and so many ingredients.  Any explanation I've ever seen by people who know how the stuff is made rapidly descends into jargon and noise, to the extent that its almost impossible for a lay person like me to work out.  So I just work on the basis that Penrite, HPR30 in particular, served well in a series of Alfa's over 20 or so years.

I guess there is a case to make that the newer oils are better than the traditional ones, but the question is about an engine designed in the late 70's.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM

Alfamania

Since I was recommended Penrite, I just went on the Penrite Website and looked at the product selector. I put in Alfa 75 3.0 V6 and all that came up was either the HPR10-50 full synthetic or the Mineral 20 50. I just went with that, previous oil in my engine was the HPr 15-60 which was put in by previous owner and was chewing it quickly. Its better now
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Ford XE ESP 5.8

aggie57

Quote from: Alfamania on May 03, 2013, 08:51:56 AM
Since I was recommended Penrite, I just went on the Penrite Website and looked at the product selector. I put in Alfa 75 3.0 V6 and all that came up was either the HPR10-50 full synthetic or the Mineral 20 50. I just went with that, previous oil in my engine was the HPr 15-60 which was put in by previous owner and was chewing it quickly. Its better now

Excellent! 
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 

Steve S

Quote from: Alfamania on May 03, 2013, 08:51:56 AM

If the owners manual says to use 20w50 or 10w50 you have done the right thing using either. From those recommendations, Alfa Romeo want you to use a 50 grade oil. So anything from a 0w50 to a 20w50 (and even a 50 mono grade) should give the desired viscosity at operating temperature. Beyond the desired operating temperature oils will perform differently however. 0w50 is by far the superior oil over a variety of operating condition as it has a higher viscosity index leading to less viscosity fluctuation with temperature. 10w50 would have been most likely the best oil you could get and an expensive option when the car was new so they have given a cheaper alternative, 20w50. 20w50 will be fine in a warm climate but you really want to use the 10w50 in a cold climate. These days a full synthetic 10w50 is cheap so I would use that if you want to stick with the factory recommendation. If you want to deviate from what Alfa Romeo recommended that's fine so long as you have a good reason and understand what you are doing.

As for how much oil the engine consumes, viscosity has a part to play but once you are comparing oils of the same viscosity, the properties of the base oil have more weight (sorry for the pun). Basically you want an oil that is less volatile, as evaporation when the oil is hot can lead to significant consumption. Without knowing anything about oil you can take a guess the full synthetic $70 oil is going to be superior to a mineral $30 oil. The specification you are looking at is Noack but it is rarely given. A higher Noack will indicate a poor quality base oil and vice versa but it is of course not the only consideration.

Steve S

Quote from: Neil Choi on May 03, 2013, 07:20:45 AM

Good healthy discussion.  Please educate some of us,   what would be your reasons for rejecting HPR30.  I am not agreeing or disagreeing, I am asking for the reasons so to gain knowledge.   What specifications would you be referring to ie obviously viscosity, others?  People get influenced by advertising and name and hype, that's all.

I chose Racing 10 or 15 for viscosity (40 vs 50 respectively) and Zn content.  Was actually thinking of going to 40.

I would agree that HPR30 might be a bit on the thick side but depends on end use.

I would not blatantly reject using HPR 30 under some conditions, that's why I asked how he intended to use the car. I was only surprised to find the spec of HRP 30 to be so enormously different to the original recommendation of 20w50, let alone 10w50, according to the original post. There is no doubting that the oil will "work", only why you would choose it over something else.

The Racing 15 is a good tough oil on paper, flows better than HPR 10w50 when cold and should be a far superior product overall. I would not have a problem going to the 40 if you wanted to drop a little viscosity.

Alfamania

Ok, apparently on the old V6's recommendation is either 15-50 full synth or the 20 50 mineral. Damn I just changed it to 10-50 full synth  :(
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Ford XE ESP 5.8

Steve S

A full synth 10w50 is suitable. It will be more than just "fine" and it is a much better choice over 20w50. The viscosity difference to a 15w50 is negligible for everyday use.

Alfamania

I just did some reading on viscosities. All good, 10-50 is more than good  :) works better in winter too!
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Ford XE ESP 5.8

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: aggie57 on May 03, 2013, 08:22:13 AM
So I just work on the basis that Penrite, HPR30 in particular, served well in a series of Alfa's over 20 or so years.

What does serving well actually mean?  What have you observed?

(Not doubting, just wanting to know more about the topic)
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

aggie57

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on May 03, 2013, 09:20:05 PM
Quote from: aggie57 on May 03, 2013, 08:22:13 AM
So I just work on the basis that Penrite, HPR30 in particular, served well in a series of Alfa's over 20 or so years.

What does serving well actually mean?  What have you observed?

(Not doubting, just wanting to know more about the topic)

I have observed, my fellow Alfisti, clean engines, healthy engines, good oil pressure at start and with use, parts not wearing out, and an acceptable cost. 

I have further observed, my fellow Alfisti, that the Penrite company is Australian owned, actively supports our sport, and has done so for many years.  Further, I have observed that they sell their products internationally and that fellow auto car operators whose opinions I trust and respect - such as your fine self - also use Penrite widely and this provides a level of comfort beyond that provided from billboards and jargon based claims. 

In summary, I am happy with this choice and upon request have indicated same to the initial enquirer.....:)

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977.