Alfetta GTV air-con compressor replacement?

Started by DomenicC1, April 21, 2013, 11:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Don't use a Sanden compressor from a 33, as they are very small, due to the left hand side carby's  getting in the way of fitting a longer compressor, they are if i remember a Sandon 503, which were also fitted to Daihatsu Charades... make sure you get the right drive pulley as some of the new ones have a ribbed pulley for a serpentine belt and try and get the right vee pulley that matches the crankshaft pulley which sometimes looks the same but isn't, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

DomenicC1

Thanks for the useful information everyone! I will see how I go and let you all know the outcome.

Regards
Domenic
Current: 83 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (Red)

Past: 82 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (Red)
      : 87 Alfa 75 V6 2.5 (Silver)

John A Pucak

my compressor model is 8908, and it runs on 134A gas

prova

Hi Domenic i took the aircon system off my 1985 Alfetta GTV a couple of years ago if I can find it you can have it if it helps you out? Should have the brackets, etc. I can have a look tomorrow. I am located near Geelong.

All the best, Ren.

DomenicC1

Hi Ren,

What type of air con system did you remove from your 85 GTV? I would assume it would still have the York type compressor.

prova

Yeah not sure mate will try and remember to have a look tomorrow - sorry but I forgot today. Hope I've still got it all!

prova

Sorry Domenic but I can't find the old air con system have had a good hunt around but I fear it ended up as scrap.

DomenicC1

No problem at all...appreciate you looking and thanks for letting me know!

AikenDrum105

Hi Domenic,

I had the York in my GTV6 changed over for a Sanden (I don't have a record of which compressor it was,  but it was a generic item with the pulley swapped over) 
As has been said - this did reduce the vibration and load of the York compressor - and made the car a smidge cooler - but in summer sitting in traffic - it really struggled...

Having the windows tinted made quite a difference,  but the front and rear glass really acts like a greenhouse.

Have a look on the Alfabb for the 'tropicaire' mods some of the US Alfetta's had - I believe it's an extra evaporator / fan and ducting in side the car.  if you're regassing anyway - might not be hard to track down the internal bits from a US car and fit ?    I had intended to go down that path but other cars came along instead :)

Hope that helps a little...
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

aggie57

Am I dreaming or are the cars with black interiors hotter than the one with tan?  They certainly feel it.....

Oh, I have a Sanden compressor off a 75 in my garage if that helps.  Along with the bracket from a 75 but reckon that won't be much use  :-\
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list