spin doctors

Started by vin sharp, April 29, 2006, 11:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vin sharp

I see the PR department is working overtime having to find a way to flog the last of the current models, their latest tempting titled 'A classic engine at a classic price'.
Well, I guess I can't argue about that one, they are after all, talking about the last of the Alfa Romeo made V6 engines.
They say that the Italian maker knows that the heart of any car is its engine and that this engine was designed for sports cars and sports sedans and with the exception of some racing cars, has never been used in any other type of vehicle.
It goes on to say how rare it is in todays homogenized automotive world where multi-pupose units are found in eveything from sports cars to delivery vans.
Fine words, with which I largely agree. These final units are the last of the line of fine engine designs by Alfa Romeo
as a maker of automotive engines with a justifiably proud heritage dating back to the pre-war all alloy units of Jano and Columbo. The evolutionary chain has been almost unbroken for eighty years. While not always the perfect engine for every application, the family line has always been distinctly recognizable as Alfa Romeo, often pioneering the way in massed produced cars in areas such as alloy blocks and heads, forged steel crankshafts and twin overhead cams.
I guess all this might help to sell the last of the current "old" stock.
I just wonder what they'll say about the new models engines.......homogenized, cost effective, generic General Motors 4 and 6 cylinder product found in Astras, Commodores, Holden utes, taxis, Suzuki 4wds and Daewoo Disposables to name a few.....but they do have a really nice plastic bit on top... on it the name "ALFA ROMEO".
   R.I.P. 

Evan Bottcher

I agree Vin there is a definite sadness at seeing the end of the wholly Alfa Romeo designed engines.  Alfa has indeed become a design label - a way for the marketers to distinguish the Fiat product into multiple tiers.  Everyone agrees that our 156 family sedan is really just a Fiat right?  Fiat engine, Fiat floorpan, but geez it's still one of the prettiest cars I ever see on the road.  I still get that great feeling from driving an Alfa - perhaps I'm kidding myself as there's very little heritage in the car beyond the heart shaped grille and badge.

Ultimately I guess most of today's Alfa Romeo buyers don't really care - in the same way that they wouldn't mind if their Armani suit used wool woven in Thomastown as long as it was stitched together in Italy and has the right label.

At least the Fiat group as a whole is still innovating - particularly in the area of valvetrain (UNIAIR) and common rail diesel technology.

Ah well I'm off back to the garage to fiddle purposefully with my "classic" Alfa boxer engine!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Fast Eddie

all the more reason to look after our "classic" boxers and to get a 77 GTV on the track in Group S. ;)
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

a sharp

Ed the only classic boxer Alfa ever built had 12 cyl not 4, I think the 4 was its starter motor, The V6 won,t go quitely into the night just look at Targa Classic King again. It will bring dread in to the harts of the tutonic Knights of the darks side (porsche drivers) every time a rain cloud passes overhead. May she never rest in peace as every mountain pass awaits her roar.

Evan Bottcher

Anthony did you forget to take your pills again?   :P

Just kidding - love the spirit.  Forza Alfa!

I've never owned a v6 Alfa - and never driven one properly in anger.  must try it out one day.  Is there an antidote?

(This by the way is a v6 installed in a 105 Spider see: http://www.g-site.com/alfaxtc/)
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Scott Farquharson

Quote from: Edward Hellsten on May 01, 2006, 12:30:34 PM
all the more reason to look after our "classic" boxers and to get a 77 GTV on the track in Group S. ;)
Well said although I'm not sure about the "classic boxer" bit.......
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Tristan Atkins

Agreed Vin, replacing that sexy engine with the chrome intake manifold for a plastic Holden cover is an automotive travesty.

Fast Eddie

Quote from: Scott Farquharson on May 24, 2006, 04:38:35 PM

Scott, you know i will do anything and seek any opportunity to promote the 900 series Alfa  ;)

And anyway, My boxer engine is fast becoming a MARANELLO Motors "classic".  It will sure have a price tag worthy of a "classic" once it is finished  :o
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Scott Farquharson

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on May 01, 2006, 09:10:13 PM
Anthony did you forget to take your pills again?   :P

Just kidding - love the spirit.  Forza Alfa!

I've never owned a v6 Alfa - and never driven one properly in anger.  must try it out one day.  Is there an antidote?

(This by the way is a v6 installed in a 105 Spider see: http://www.g-site.com/alfaxtc/)

No - no known antidote - you must try it - once you've been there it will be hard to go back

Makes the 2L cars seem like slow motion and there's that sound......
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Scott Farquharson

Quote from: Edward Hellsten on May 26, 2006, 09:05:05 AM
Quote from: Scott Farquharson on May 24, 2006, 04:38:35 PM

Scott, you know i will do anything and seek any opportunity to promote the 900 series Alfa  ;)

And anyway, My boxer engine is fast becoming a MARANELLO Motors "classic".  It will sure have a price tag worthy of a "classic" once it is finished  :o
I just love your committment!!
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)