90 Reno - Engine Removal Tips

Started by Beeno, February 03, 2008, 05:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeno

Guys

Well the 90 reno is about to start at last.  It sat around for a while but i suppose there is no time like the present to get started.  ::)

First thing is to remove the engine to repair the oil leaks.  Any tips on on getting the engine out the beast before i consult the shop manual?  By the way how do you get the sparkplug out of #6 without removing the brake booster?

Couple of picture to wet your appetites on what i have in front of me.  ;D

Cheers
Beeno

scott.venables

Hey Beeno.  Cool 90! 8)  The #6 plug is tricky, when I do it I drop the sockets into the hole one by one and use 2 short extensions if I remember correctly.  Just push them together in the hole to click them together and do it in reverse to get them out. 

Getting the motor out, after you disconnect the loom, hoses, tailshaft etc and removed the radiator. If the 90 has the fold back bonnet like the 75 do that and put the rear of the car on jack stands.  Then start lifting and find someone to lie under the car to steer the extension housing out through the tunnel.

Cheers, Scott

Beeno

Thanks for the tips scott.  Bonnet will be removed completely before i start. 

Nothing like finding out how to do something by asking. Most manuals are pretty ordinary when it comes to removing engines.
Still think #6 will be tricky, I honestly think that it has never been changed so could be tricky even when it is on a stand in the shop!

Cheers
Ben

scott.venables

Hi Ben.  I really wouldn't remove the bonnet if you don't have to.  Folding it right back is just as good as removing it access wise and when you're done there's no dramas trying to get the gap even all the way around.

Cheers, Scott

dehne

hi there for the 6 plug do you havethe proper spark plug spanner they came with the car originally you just slide it in no need to remove brake container as for engine removal this is really easy you can have it out in about 1-2 hrs i have removed a few out if you haveever done an engine before you will not need a manual these cars are easy to work on when you have disconected all wiring undo tailshaft completly remove exhaust with air con unbolt it from engine and leave conected to body remove radiator once engine is disconected from every thing connect engine crane start lifting have car on flat surface and in nutural when lifting this is so you can push car backwards when it is almost out if you need anymore help reply and i can help you
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Beeno

Thanks for the info Dehne. Don't suppose you could take a snap of the spark plug tool and post it? My 90 did not come with one, unfortunately  :(

If i run into any issues I'll drop you a line.

Cheers
Beeno

dehne

trying to get pic on hope to soon
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's