75 Rear brakes, dramas aplenty!!

Started by Luckyphil, February 24, 2013, 08:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luckyphil

mmmmmmmmmmmm power tools, because 8 fingers and 2 thumbs are so overrated  ;D

aggie57

Quote from: Luckyphil on March 05, 2013, 05:31:21 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmm power tools, because 8 fingers and 2 thumbs are so overrated  ;D

You asked for help Phil!  Did this job first time oh 20 years ago. Still got 8 fingers and 2 thumbs...  ;D

Seriously though, you're right about safety. Always use welders gloves and safety goggles when using a grinder. And keep an extinguisher nearby.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Luckyphil

well I'm going to use this as an excuse to remove the fuel tank, pump and filter and relocate them into the boot when I have finished.
this would be a bit easier if the car was on a hoist and not on the ground, but yes will take my time, first up will be trying the impact driver, grinding will be the last resort  :D
plan on retaining all extremity's as well, hehe

thank you all for the input guys will keep you posted  :)

Luckyphil

as I have decided to "walk away" from the drive shafts for a few days, I turned my attention to other jobs that need doing so I removed all the door glass, winding mechanisms, central locking and wiring this afternoon, woohoo I made some progress  :D

Now I have all the internal door bits that have been removed with care, and I do not want to throw it away as it might be of use to someone else, anyone interested??   

Beatle

Phil, if you are walking away for few days, use that time wisely.  Every day get underneath and give each bolt a big smack with a heavy hammer, nice and square so as not to damage anything  A solid hit with a heavy hammer is better than rapping away like a woodpecker using a small hammer.  Then spray with a decent penetrant.

Repeat a few times over a few days.  Hopefully by the time you get to undoing them, they will have released their hold.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Luckyphil

Cheers Paul, gave the bolts another WD40 bath this arvo, will give then another whack tomorrow morning :)

Mick A

Quote from: dehne on March 04, 2013, 11:47:32 PM
What I do is use a normal Allen key, then a 22 ml ring spanner to extend they leverage then use my foot and press down, can get more pressure this way than any other

I strongly suggest that NOBODY EVER tries this. This is how you strip bolts and ruin your tools. Bad practice. No feel.

BAD ADVICE DEHNE!

Mick A

Phil,

Have you stripped any of the bolt heads yet? Or managed to crack any?

Luckyphil

not yet, but did remove the fuel tank, pump and filter yesterday. going to have another crack at the bolts today

Luckyphil

woohoo, all done!!!! everything came apart quite well, no stripped bolts no need to grind anything too ;D