75 Rear brakes, dramas aplenty!!

Started by Luckyphil, February 24, 2013, 08:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick A

You still had the bolts in?!

You need to remove these to remove the disc, they go through it to the output flange.

Luckyphil

getting the pads out is the first issue to tackle as the callipers are seized............ 

Mick A

Yes I understand that,

You won't be able to use the disc as a lever with the pry bar unless the bolts are out, that was what I meant.

My apologies probably just misread what you typed.

Luckyphil

no apologies needed, all comments welcome........
this weekend will get a bit done, plan getting its bum in the air and removing all bolts dropping drive shafts and having a "bash" at getting the pads out and disks removed  :D

Luckyphil

just a quick update, making slow progress but have un-seized the callipers............was in the progress of undoing the drive shaft bolts and giving the bolt(s) a good whack (through the extension bar and and hex drive) to help with freeing up of the bolts,  the whole lot want "bang" and the driveshaft started turn......... jumped in the car pushed down on the brake peddle and the rears lock again, so tapped the disk with a hammer and hay presto it goes free again......did that a few times and things begining to move a lot better  ;D

still going to remove everything as it needs a rebuild but happy camper now  :)

Mick A

Beatle

" When in doubt, give it a clout!!"   ;D
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Luckyphil

Well OK, so I have tried in earnest to undo these drive shaft bolts................exactly how hard are they supposed to be to undo??????? 
I went out and got an 8mm allen key socket drive, sprayed liberal amounts of WD40 and have been trying to undo them using an extension bar and rattle gun no movement so far, would need a longer extension bar (to clear the wheel well) if i was to use a "crack" bar..........has anyone tried an impact driver to undo these bolts?? Any other ideas????
cheers
Phil

Neil Choi

If the bolts have not been off in awhile, they will be a pain to get out.  You are correct in using an allen key socket and make sure it is a really good one so it fits perfectly and squarely, an extension is good (but not too long to put the socket at an angle), have someone hold the wheel while you give it a good gentle lever ie longer ratchet.  If you happen(and you will as there are 12 to do) to round off the hex head, you will need to cut the bolt head off with an angle grinder.  Good luck with the fun and games.  Seems you are on the right path, rough as it may be.  If it gets tough, walk away and have a drink then come back and swear at it more, this seems to work and make easy after awhile, I think!!!

Luckyphil

:D thanks Neil.............I'm having a beer  8)
got a kingcrome allen key socket fits well, going to giver the impact driver idea a go tomorrow, never know it might just work..............

aggie57

Second Neil's grinder comment.  If they are on solid likely you will round off at least a couple of them so grinder at the ready....:)  Plenty of spares lying around in peoples bolt bins so nothing lost.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Luckyphil

Cheers, yes will get a thin cutting wheel tomorrow  :)

Mick A

Another way is with a cold chisel, sometimes you can get them to turn but of course they are very second hand afterwards.

Neil Choi

Angle grinder with a 1mm cutting blade is more fun, more exciting, more spectacular and more satisfying (mmmm, power tool) than a bloody cold chisel!!!!  If you want cold chisel, go listen to Jimmy Barnes.

dehne

What I do is use a normal Allen key, then a 22 ml ring spanner to extend they leverage then use my foot and press down, can get more pressure this way than any other
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's