Alfa 75 2.5 V6 vs. Alfa 33 1.7 16V

Started by cranberry, February 23, 2013, 09:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cranberry

Hi folks, I'm looking for some opinions...I have the chance to acquire either of an Alfa 75 2.5 V6 or an Alfa 33 1.7 16V. The 33 is in above average condition. The 75 is a typical used but well looked after example. The 75 has auto which I prefer (yes, I'm an old fart now) but I could live with the 33's 5 speed.

Is there anything I should look out for that might sway me one way or the other as I really do like both...I love all Alfas  ;D

colcol

There is an easy answer, get both, one to drive, while you work on the other, if you do a lot of city driving, then get the auto 75, the 75 has better airconditioning, the 16v would be a bit more sporty, and less common and more practicle with a hatchback, the 33 needs the cams belts changing at a critical 60,000 klms, the V-6 a bit longer, the V-6 would use more fuel, [but not much more], they are both of the last Alfa Romeo's made before the Fiat takeover, like how long is a bit of string?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: colcol on February 23, 2013, 09:55:09 AM
the 33 needs the cams belts changing at a critical 60,000 klms, the V-6 a bit longer

The V6 is also 60,000km, or 3 years.

I think the 33 would probably be a lot more fun to drive quickly, but if you want an auto......

Beatle

Yeah, get both.

But, have you spent time in a 33?  It's a long time since I have, but I recall the Sud-like pedal arrangement became painful for my largish boots.  So if you are on the larger side, make sure you sit in them both for a while, and see if you could live with it given your intended use.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

colcol

I have size 12 feet, and so i have to drive my 33 with narrow shoes, no steel capped boots here!, but excellent for heeling and toeing,  and check for the airconditioning in the 33, most don't work, and the cheaper units only blow out of the 3 centre vents, the more expensive [Italian ones], blow out of the 5 vents, i think that by the time the 16v came out, they were fitting them in Italy, but check anyway, the 33 and 75 use the outdated R12 Refrigerant gas, so make sure its been converted to a retrofit, as the R12 is no longer available, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

I've never owned a V6 75 or an auto, but do own a twin spark 75.  Used to own a 33 16V a few years ago, and have always had a Sud or 33 in the stable.

The 75 is better screwed together and feels more solid, whereas the 33s feel like they suffer more body flex, particularly in the front end.  The 33 might as well not have air con, whereas the 75 does a decent job if well maintained.  I never liked the power steering on my 33 - too light and lacking feedback, whereas the steering on the 75 is definitely the best of any power-assisted car I've owned.  This seems odd given the non-assisted 33s and Suds have brilliant steering.

I can't speak for the 2.5 auto, but the 33 would always reward you with a grin - the motors are a cracker, very eager and sound fantastic. 

I also have size 12 feet, but have driven a Sud since I was 18 or 19 so I really don't have a problem.  I've only picked up the accelerator and brake together on the racetrack once.  That woke me up!

If you do any distance driving, I find the Sud/33 pedals easier on my right ankle than the 75.

They both look brilliant IMO.  You definitely should get both :-)
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

50/50

I haven't had any experience with the 75 2.5 auto specifically, but I do have a 75 TS and 33 16V at home.
In comparing these two, the 75 overall feels more solid and well put together (as already mentioned by others above). The power steering in the 75 gives perfect feedback, yet makes tight parking an easy task. It also feels comfortable out on the road which helps if it is to be your sole daily car. About the only downside is the angle of the pedals (also mentioned by others above), which if you're not used to it, can be a bit of a pain on your ankles.
Onto the 33 16V, the car is smaller and lighter, therefore making it a very fun and nimble car to drive (you won't want to step revving the awesome boxer motor). Being a hatchback, it is also very practical as you can fold down the rear seats. Although the build quality in the 33 16V is greatly improved over the earlier 33s, it still doesn't quite feel as solid as the 75 (IMO). The pedals are pretty closely spaced so it might take a bit of getting used to as well. Maintenance-wise, the engine bay in the 33 is a bit of a squeeze.
So all in all, they are both great aesthetically and both are fun to drive. Unfortunately, I haven't driven a 75 2.5 auto but I hope that some of these points help you to make a decision. Ultimately, you will need to test drive both back-to-back so that you can decide which car fits your intended purpose best.

cranberry

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.  ;)

colcol

Cranberry, let us know how you get on when you can't make up your mind and do the logical thing and buy both, Colin.

cranberry

Haha, good one Col. I'll be in the dog house if that happens.

The sad thing is that a 156 is not much more these days than either car but the Selespeed scares the hell out of me.

colcol

If the Selespeed scares you, then buy a manual, or get the selespeed serviced every year, air conditioning is borderline in series 1 series 2 & 3 has bigger vents, Colin.

cranberry

Is the 156 air cond in a series 1 still better than a 75's?

I want an auto as I get sciatica in my left leg.

MD

My wife owns a 75 auto. Every bit an Alfa in spirit. Only a 3 speed transaxle so not as quick as the 5 speed manual but on country runs if you shift it manually for say an overatking manouvre, it hauls ass. That V6 sound you will never get out of the flat donk. Glorious. Reminds you why you drive an Alfa.

The transmission is simple to service and is reliable.

Being an automatic used car, the engine will always be in better condition than a manual one
because the ECU controls the rev limit so the engine cannot be revved to bleeding point.

Given your condition, there is only one choice (and the best one anyway),
Go the 75 and enjoy it.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

lombardi

Another point to consider,

75 is rear wheel drive

33 is front wheel drive

if u are an old romantic,rear wheel is always better.
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

cranberry

RE the 75...the heart says yes, the head says I'm nuts for even thinking about it. Please convince me that the 75 can be a good daily driver.