GT JTS 2005 air filter, cabin filter change

Started by lombardi, December 16, 2012, 09:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lombardi

Have a GT 2005 JTS and want to change air filter and cabin filter, can anyone help in location of these items, guess must be easy task once located.thanks Ciao
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Cool Jesus

Hey Lombardi, was recently looking at this for my stable. Here's a link, how's your Japanese? Photos are self explanatory, I hear its a bit of a pain too. Let us know how it works out?

https://www.italiazakka.co.jp/factory/yourself/chap_33/chap_33.html
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

You change from the left hand side of the car, some screws to undo and a cover comes off, and the filters slide out, there is a cover under the glove box that has to come off to gain access to under the glove box, i found the best way to change it was to push the passenger seat back as far as it will go drop the backrest down as far as it will go, lie on the seat with your back on the seat and your head and arms pointing towards the floor, have a torch ready to see and an escape plan if you get cramp, the original pollen filters are a one piece as when the car comes down the production line, there is no consul in the way, and the long filter can be installed in one go, however when the consul is in the way, you have only enough room to install a two piece filter, as the one piece won't go in, the 147+156JTS+GT have the same climate control system, the early series 1 156 and series 1 GTV and spider have a one piece pollen filter and it lives in the engine bay under the windscreen on the left hand side, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

lombardi

Thanks guys for informative answer's and love the sense of humour, i suffer from bad cramps and dont speak japanese, could be a disaster waiting to happen, Life is a challenge. Ciao and merry xmas-- Buon natale.
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

colcol

When you are as fit as me, and you are lying under your glovebox using muscles you have not used for years, you will understand, the need to jump out of the car quick, it is always interesting to hear if the car has the original 1 long piece pollen filter or whether it has the replacement 2 short pieces, and if you have ever been charged to have it changed, it was one of the first jobs i did on my car when i first got it, to try and improve the air flow, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig C

Quote from: colcol on December 16, 2012, 05:49:18 PM
the early series 1 156 and series 1 GTV and spider have a one piece pollen filter and it lives in the engine bay under the windscreen on the left hand side, Colin.

For the life of me I can't find a pollen filter in the Spider, looking from the engine bay and under the dash.  But I can see the fan blades of the blower.  Colin are you basing your advice on having seen it at some stage or from the printed manuals?  I'd come to the conclusion that it was a typo and that there was no pollen filter, but maybe it was removed or never installed from new.
2003 Spider
1984 GTV 2.0

Cool Jesus

Craig, I don't believe that series has a cabin filter for the right hand drive versions, something to do with the wiper mechanism getting in the way.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/223060-cabin-pollen-filter.html

Would'nt mind someone confirming either way as I'd like to change my 916 spider filter if it has one. I'll have a closer look when I get home as I'm also investigating unwanted hot air in the footwell which I below is coming from the engine bay...
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Cool Jesus

Some indication that it is there, however the manual these images are from seem to show a left hand drive vehicle???
The engine bay shows the v6, however the manual doesn't differentiate between the engine sizes as far as where the filter is located.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

If your car is about 2002 onwards and has dual climate control, then you have a 2 piece pollen filter behind the consul, if you have a series 1 twin spark or V-6, then the pollen filter lives under the windscreen on the left hand side of the engine bay, when i first purchased my 2002 JTS, i downloaded the instructions from a UK Alfa Romeo 156 Forum, the UK is right hand drive, so i though i will just follow that, and pulled apart all the covers off the left hand side, but couldn't find the pollen filter, but it looked like there was provision for one, you can buy the pollen filters here in Australia and thr UK, so i assumed they had pollen filters for right hand drive, i thought maybe someone has taken the pollen filter out to try and get the [crappy] airconditioner to work a bit better, the 147 has the same climate control from 2000, in 2002 the 156 adopted the same one as the 147, try contacting a spare parts place to see whether your model-year has a one piece or two piece, Colin.

Cool Jesus

Yeah, I'd love to know if its possible to install one, in reading the workshop manual it seems to read like it was an option?
Photos of my '98 Spider shows no provision for the filter. Actually, it doesn't seem possible with thewiper supports being in  the way, unless the instal kit accounts for that.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Try finding out of a spare parts place if they actually come out with a pollen filter, the photos you show me looks like mine, maybe the pollen filter sits on top of the fan?, have a look at the UK forums, thats where i got all my info, Colin.

bix

I find EPER can be a good source of information if you use Windows Explorer (it doesn't function very well using Firefox and good luck with Safari etc).
Looking at exploded diagrams of the Spider, it would indicate a filter above the fan - but whether that is specific to a LHD, I can't comment.

http://eper.fiatforum.com/eper/navi?MOD_COD=163&COUNTRY=012&GRP_COD=501&CAT_COD=U9&SBMK=R&DRIVE=D&MAKE=R&COMM_MODEL=SPI&ALL_FIG=2&LANGUAGE=3&PREVIOUS_KEY=PARTDRAWDATA&NEW_HTTP=TRUE&ALL_LIST_PART=0&SB_CODE=-1&KEY=PARTDRAWDATA&SEARCH_TYPE=codpart&PRINT_MODE=0&EPER_CAT=SP&GUI_LANG=3&WINDOW_ID=1&SGRP_COD=1&SGS_COD=2&DRW_NUM=3

colcol

It looks like you could be missing the tray that holds the pollen filter in, if you find out that it is supposed to have a pollen filter, then you might need a trip to the Alfa wreckers for the missing parts, Colin.

Domenic

The right Hand drive versions never came with a pollen filter.

I've seen a couple of people on ebay trying to sell them. Feel sorry for the consumer who buys them, as they will never be able to install them on their GTV-Spider (916 series).

EPER is useful, especially if you have a VIN# and use it that way. But if you just use it via selecting the model, be very careful as it always defaults to left hand drive.

Cool Jesus

That's probably why I couldn't find the filter on eper as I use my VIN on there. I'll have another squiz in the component area that Bix has pointed to in his post.

Hope Lombardi doesn't mind his thread being hijacked like this, still on the same part of the vehicle just another model ;)

Just had a quick look on ePer using my VIN :( no such part available. Guess it must be true for RHD spiders. Might have to see if there's a possible modification? Is the filter worth having? Does it make a difference? Actually I should point out that my spider is a phase 1 model. Perhaps Craig could also confirm it for model...
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS