18x8.75 inch rim on 2004 156, BBS ch style

Started by costie007, November 13, 2012, 03:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

costie007

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the maximum wheel width we can cram under the guards without causing any rubbing. Im after a deep concave look which is difficult to find with only a 8 inch wide rim.

Links below if your interested

http://www.nlmotoring.com/XXR-530-wheels-18-inch-Hyper-Silver-p/53088103.htm

These are my other option but they dont have that concave look im after

http://www.n-1.com.au/enkei-raijin/

Thanks

shiny_car

So long as the offset is appropriate, and the tyers not too wide, 8" rims should fit, no probs. 8.5" is possibly a stretch for a 156.

What tyre size? Typically, you'd go with 225/40R18, so 8" rims are about as wide as you'd need. I previously had 7.5" wide rims with that tyre size.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

costie007

Thats pretty much what I was thinking.

Was planning on going with 235/40/18 for an 8 inch rim with a 35et, was told 225's would be slightly stretched affecting wear.

I just found these on ozzytyres.com.au. 19x8.5 et?? w/235/35/19 for $2,200 delivered. I'm a little suspect if they will fit without needing the guards rolled but they guarantee they will fit a 156 or 100% money back.

http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/store/wheel-tyre-packages/vertini-magic-19x8-5-5x98-silver-machine-face-wheel-tyre-package.html

shiny_car

225 tyres on an 8" wheel is no issue IMO. I currently have 225/35R19 on 8.5" wheels on my GT, though will upsize to 235/35R19 with the next tyres. The 'stretched' look is rather JDM (Japanese), and I like it, but it far from overboard in that spec.

Those wheels nice; I'm always wary of copies in terms of weight and softness (they may buckle easily). Unsure if they'll fit the 156 without rubbing.

AndrewM

Hi Costie007

I have 225/40/R18s on my 2005 156 JTS wagon. It's a tight fit under the guards, but no problems that I've noticed. The wheels are not genuine Alfa, but I have fitted wheel caps from 159 wheels, and they look pretty impressive (get positive comments almost daily). Grip, steering response etc is impressive too.

Having said all that, I am considering swapping back to smaller wheels (genuine Alfa17s or maybe 16s), for a range of reasons - softer ride on Melbourne's deteriorating roads, ability to fit snow chains and lower insurance premiums.

Not sure what wheels you have on your car at present, but there may be potential to do a deal. I can send pics, or meet up at Spettacolo on Sunday. I'm Andrew and it's a dark blue sportwagon (with flashy wheels)

You can PM me.
AndrewM -156 JTS 2.0 Wagon (first Alfa, still feeling a bit nervous)

costie007

Shiney, how does the car ride on 19's with a 35 profile tyre? Would like 19's but don't want to ruin the ride. Wonder if 225/40/19 would fit under there?

Andrew, Thanks for the offer but im set on the BBS CH style wheels but I will still be selling my 17's if your still interested. I think most if not all of them have very minor gutter rash as this was the previous owners wife's car, or so he told me. I believe they are 17x7, currently wrapped in 215/45/17 which have less than 2,000km on them. Make me an offer if your interested asking $750 ONO, excuse the dog in the pics.

costie007

Here is a close up of the 17's

shiny_car

I personally find the ride very good. But in combination with Eibach Pro Kit springs and KONI Sport shocks. Together, over smaller ripples and decent roads, the ride is BETTER than the original 17" wheel/tyre/suspension combo. Only over larger ridges and potholes does it thump harder, so I DO take care to drive around such things, and slow down over railway crossings (not to ridiculously slow pace, but generally slow down).

225/40R19 will put your speedo out too much. And I haven't checked if that tyre size is readily available; possibly not.

costie007

I think your right about the speedo, the rolling circumference would be 5% or so greater than that of the standard wheels.
Surprising that with less suspension travel and a much lower profile tires you can't notice much of a difference. Im going to go chat with the guys at advanced tyres in richmoond and see what they have to say about 19's. Do you know how much the springs/suspension lowered the car?

shiny_car

Quote from: costie007 on November 25, 2012, 05:32:53 PMDo you know how much the springs/suspension lowered the car?

Depends on what combo of gear.

I have Eibach Pro Kit springs (probably the most common/popular) + KONI Sport shocks. This lowered the rear about 30mm and the front about 5mm. I wasn't happy with the front, so I had the suspension (shock + suspension arm) modified, resulting in about 20mm lowering. It's been suggested that the spring pan on the KONI Sport (probably KONI FSD too) is set higher up, resulting in no overall lowering. Dunno if that's true.

I know of a GT which has Eibach Pro System (combo kit of Pro Kit springs + Eibach shocks), and this is reported to lower front + rear 30mm both ends.

IMO, the factory shocks are 'harsh'; the compression must be too firm. Ditto the factory springs. Everyone who changes the suspension seems to report considerable improvement in ride quality. Thus, 19s with factory suspension would probably be terrible.