Spettacolo Info - Sunday 18th November

Started by John Hanslow, October 23, 2012, 04:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Hanslow

This is a quick note to update all Club members and friends who would like to participate in  our annual Spettacolo Concorso and Wash'n Shine.  Following the success over previous years, we expect to have a field full of Alfa Romeo vehicles on display in addition to various promotions and sponsor participation.

With over 20 separate Show'n Shine Awards available, we anticipate a full field of cars.  Previously the record was 200 plus (includes visitors) so lets make this year bigger and better than ever.

This year is also the 50th Anniversary of the introduction of Giulia 105 series cars in addition to the 2600 Series.  We will be holding a showcase of member cars to celebrate this event.

A 'Bertone Walk through the History' highlighting the development of Alfa Romeo and Bertone design over the last 100 years in being planned.

We also look forward to holding our Spettacolo Dinner. This will be a chance to welcome our regional & interstate guests, interested AROCA members and event organizers.  All are welcome to attend.  Bookings essential: Call Mary our Social Secretary: 0412-785-824.

Note that Spettacolo 2012 will be held at Como Park Reserve as Wesley College is not available due to extensive building works.
Como Park North, Alexandra Avenue, South Yarra.
Melways Map 58 G1and G2.

Times and Event details:
   Event is open to the public from 9.00 am. cars to be on field by 10 am.
   Judging of Show'n Shine event will commence at 11.00 am (volunteers welcome).
   Concorso entrants are requested to be in the Concours Arena by 10 am.
   Award presentation at 1.30 pm.
   Event Closes 2.30 pm.

We anticipate a large crowd and we welcome families to bring a picnic lunch or purchase from a variety of food vendors on the day including gourmet Italian food, coffee, pizza, sausage sizzle plus the usual cold drinks and ice cream.  Note to bring sunscreen and shade umbrella as many of the trees have been removed.  For the kids, we will have a jumping castle and face painting etc.

Any volunteer or enquiries may be directed to a Club Register Captain or the Register Co-coordinator John Hanslow on 0409-961-719.

Other Matters and Reminders:
Be early to get a spot.
We would like all cars to be on the field by 10.00 am
All are welcome to enter the Wash'n Shine if you are a member.
New members welcome and you get free entry to the Wash'n Shine.
Trailers , vans, trucks etc can be parked on the field above the field.
As the field is now smaller, only Alfas are to be displayed as space is limited.
Cheers

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

massiveluvbuddy67

A special highlight at Spettacolo this year will be the "Stile Bertone Walk" at 11:30am. Club historian (and all round tremendous chap and font of all knowledge Alfa), David Wright, will investigate eight selected Alfa Romeos that represent the styling influence of Stile Bertone. Owners will be interviewed and eight cars have been selected from the 60s through to the modern era for review.

Come along, join in and learn something new from David. It will be fun!

Ask David about your model of Alfa he will know the history, background and unique information that will keep you captivated!
Best Regards
Phil
Editor

colcol

Good weather forcast for Sunday, not too hot [20c], and no rain, plenty of good yacking and perving all day, Eastlink will be closed or have work being done on the tunnel in Ringwood on the weekend, check out alternate routes or face delays and miss a good space at Como, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig C

Excellent day, particularly liked the Bertone walk, great local (Australian) perspective on that part of Alfa history from David. Also learnt how to properly pronounce many of the great names I have been reading about for years.  Interested to hear that the Alfa 90 was the most popular Australian sold Alfa ever, 2500 sold p.a. at their peak.

Thanks to all involved in the organising.
2003 Spider
1984 GTV 2.0

John Hanslow

Thanks Craig.  It was an ripper of a day.

In our next magazine, I heard there will be an owner's feature article on the first series Alfa 90's that came to Aus.

Cheers
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

pasey25

Had a great time. Surprised to see quite so many people and cars. First time I haven't been able to get my car onto the oval

Quote from: Craig C on November 19, 2012, 12:24:07 PM
.  Interested to hear that the Alfa 90 was the most popular Australian sold Alfa ever, 2500 sold p.a. at their peak.

i never knew this either. so few around now too.
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Craig C on November 19, 2012, 12:24:07 PM
Interested to hear that the Alfa 90 was the most popular Australian sold Alfa ever, 2500 sold p.a. at their peak.

No, that's not correct.  I've been in touch with David today and he is as keen as I am to correct the record.  I quote David directly...  "Unfortunately I have been mis-quoted as my comment was that the Alfa 90 was very successful in Australia and strongly contributed to Alfa Australia's best year for sales which was 1985 with a total of 2500 cars (all models).  I have no record of the number of 90s that were sold in Australia but it would be less than 1,000 between 1985 to 1987."

For some context, the total number of V6 90s made worldwide, 1984-87,  was 6912.  That includes 2.0 and 2.5 V6s, and LHD and RHD.  (Source -  Marco Fazio, Archivio Storico Alfa Romeo)

Evan Bottcher

Glad you got that sorted! Can't have something wrong on the Internet - especially something about Alfa 90s!

Great day - thanks to all the organisers, sorry I didn't help out as much as I wanted to.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on November 19, 2012, 09:24:55 PM
Glad you got that sorted! Can't have something wrong on the Internet - especially something about Alfa 90s!

Well the trouble is that, as I've discovered over the years, there is so little information about the 90s out there that when I try to search 90s on my favourite search engine I inevitably end up back on this forum, or to pictures of my own cars.  So I can almost guarantee that in a few years it will be 'common knowledge' that "the 90 was the most popular Australian sold Alfa ever, 2500 sold p.a. at their peak".  And as a student of history I would like to avoid that if at all possible.  I'm sure anyone else would try to do the same for their favourite Alfa model.  The internet is wonderful for spreading information, unfortunately it is not always correct information.

Anyway......   thanks to the organisers, it was the best Spettacolo I've ever seen.  Stunning array of cars, and an amazing standard from every car on the field.  Huge thanks to everyone that bought a sausage from the Shitbox Rally fundraising tent too, we sold out of almost everything and made some pretty decent money.

EZEE

Thank you to all Alfa Victorians (there is a moniker there somewhere!) for making us "out-of-towners" feel welcome; we had a ball.

I can only repeat the congratulations and praise for not only the effort but the positive attitude of all involved. You should all be very proud....we will be back :)

Cheers,

Emmanuel