Fix 'n' Go ?

Started by Gotta B Red, August 05, 2012, 02:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gotta B Red

Hi All,
I'm very interested to know what folks think of the Fix 'n' Go system, does it work or is it just a stop-gap measure? (unintentional p)
Alternatively has anyone tried to fit a "real" full sized wheel and tyre(inflated) into an Alfa GT.
I've had the tape measure out and it just might but as I don't have a spare to do a real acid test I'm unsure.
Methinks it would be tight and perhaps a problem extracting it but I'd be very grateful for some real world experience.
Cheers,
Andy 

alfagtv152

Hi Andy,
I don,t have any experience but if you want to try it just jack the car up and take a wheel off and try it in the boot!>
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

Gotta B Red

Thanks Andrew,
I have considered that but I have no jack to suit this car, I have a trolley jack that will lift it easily but I'm a little concerned about where to jack it from and if the the trolley jack will fit under it.
Yes I did drive this car 2000 Ks with no spare and no way to fix a puncture .... I thought the fix and go was there, it wasn't till I was home that I discovered the absence of a method or means to deal with a flat tyre.
Whilst I recognise that the spacesaver "toy" tyre is the modern way, it does very little to comfort me in a pinch.
Hence the query of those that may have already travelled that route.
Even if I can't get a genuine fix'n'go, I already have the requisite components but will need a new can of "Foaming Goo" to use Frank Zappa's words.

Cheers,
Andy

Cool Jesus

I know the 916 series GTV and Spiders stopped using spares and were supplied with the 'spare in a can', along with a puncture kit too (or was this a suggestion). Not sure which market this occured in, if at all, I though i read this somewhere. The tyre weld and space savers are both a band aid solution until the puncture is repaired. Tyre puncture kits arent rocket science and you would be performing the same repair that the shop would be perfoming. The ladies or older Alfa dinosuars may have difficulty in driving the pin into the puncture, but its relative to your ability. It wouldn't hurt to also have a small compressor, just thinking about.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Jack the car up by putting the jack under the jacking point, that is a round bit of metal about 25mm in diameter and about 20 mm long,[ there are 4 of them under the car, 1 for each wheel],  if in doubt, have a look at the owners manual, while you are at it, take off a wheel and see if it fits in the boot, [ i bet it won't], go to an Alfa Wrecker and see if the space saver tyre fits the spare wheel recess, if it does, make sure it fits on the car and the pitch circle diameter of the bolts are correct, and its the right offset, then make sure your existing wheel bolts hold the wheel on, and they don't foul on anything when the wheel turns, then you will need an Alfa Romeo jack and wheel bolt brace, and hopefully that will do the jack as well, then if all good, negotiate a good price for youself, DON'T buy a wheel off Ebay as it may not fit, also buy a can  of gooley-gum puncture repair, as its shaving creme size pressure pack can, that might save you having to change a wheel in the first place, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Gotta B Red

Thanks Colin my apprehension is due to evidence of something I think was less than judicious use of a trolley jack, sill damage (circular depression) So I thought I should ask, I have the owners manual and consulted it first and yes it's straightforward.

From the diagrams in the manual the type of head (against the bodywork) of the genuine jack is designed to straddle the seam
Although I haven't tried yet I think my trolley jack is going to be too big (2500kg) particularly if protection block(s) with a deep enough rebate to protect the seam are used. I'll have another look for the points you describe.

I won't be taking the bet I'm sorry as I'm inclined to agree on the tyre fit thing, just on measurement alone and I tried to be as accurate as possible, it would be tight .... in more ways than one.Especially after having a few weeks/months to bed down nice and tight .... a lower back injury just waiting to happen!
I thought someone may have a workaround perhaps a deflated tyre or another neat trick.
The manual covers three models or more the point three engines and several different tyre sizes from 15" through to 17" with different aspect ratios (2), the "compact spare" is meant to be 125/80 R15. I haven't a clue whether it's only suitable if the 15" wheels are fitted or whether it's resultant ride height (profile) would be equal or close to that of a 17" alloy.
In one diagram in the manual there seems to be the emergency spare shown and a different styrofoam molding that fits within and over the said spare securing all the extras wheel brace, jack etc.

I have no personal experience with "gooley-gum" or anything of the kind, just simply never used it in my entire motoring life.

A very big thanks for the advice and info re a spare and ancillary kit, especially what NOT to do. Sage advice indeed!

Ultimately I'd be happiest with a full size spare and the correct jack and other tools, but if I have to have a skinny spare then so be it. I'll take your advice and carry the goop as well and a small 12V compressor and try out your suggestion if the need arises, for me there's an extra margin of comfort in having a plan B as well.

Thanks very much for the info and tips, invaluable.

Cheers,
Andy

pasey25

are you sure the car doesn't come with a compressor already?

my GTA comes with its own compressor as well as a can of goo ilo a spare
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

Gotta B Red

Hi pasey25,
No mate it's got nothing bar the styrofoam insert that fits into the wheel well. To stay original I'd like to acquire the whole kit but I can achieve an identical end point with the compressor I already have, and a new tin of foaming goo.
I'd be a lot more comfortable with a spare as well even if it's a spacesaver and the appropriate means to lift the car.
The styro insert I have was designed to accept the box/case of the fix & go compressor plus spanner/wheel brace and the jack itself (I think)
It seems the styro insert is different when a spacesaver spare wheel/tyre is insitu as it must be shallower in depth as the spare is underneath it. Whereas the styro insert I have is deeper, filling the whole wheel cavity by itself.

wankski

nooooo!!! just in case you were considering it....don't go with the aerosol tire repair or foam stuff...

if you must go tire repair....

this is what i recommend:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Slime-Tire-Super-Sealant-Auto-Compact-Cars-and-Trailers-16-oz-10011-/280853762274?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41643050e2

it works! stans sealant is also good. these methods really do work... but! you need a scissors jack and a compressor and valve core remover tool...

this is what you do: flat tyre... leave car running...(don't want to fix a tire only to flat your battery!)

1) jack up car on crnr with the flat... remove cap and depress valve to remove all remaining air... use tool to remove core... ALWAYS have spare cores...  2)now with the wheel free to spin, empty bottle thru valve to required amount (see instructions) then by hand manually spin wheel. this will allow the goo to evenly coat the inner surface of the tubeless tire..
3) reinstall core and reinflate tire.
4) spin wheel again by hand.
5) lower car back down

drive off.

items needed:
latex gloves (or your hands will be FILTHY)
valve core removing tool - plus spare core or two
compressor
slime

that is all!

WHY YOU DON'T WANT AEROSOL

1. they can explode and are very damaging to fabrioc and even paint! they will also eat the tire and the ones that harden will render your tire unrepairable!!!!
2. The goo above is water soluable and not an aerosol - it is a thick liquid only. when teh tire is removed for repair the good is imply washed and a repair made for minimal cost. many tire shops wont repair an aerosol repair.
3. compressor is good for many things... if the puncture is big or in two places or in the sidewall - you will need to continually top off air - you can't without a compressor!

tool:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHRADER-VALVE-CORE-REMOVER-TOOL-FITS-TIRES-AND-A-C-VALVES-MADE-IN-USA-/170878308565?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c92410d5&vxp=mtr

explode:

http://forums.startsampling.com/showthread.php?t=49264

http://www.chemaxx.com/tirefire1.htm

http://www.tiredefects.com/fix-a-flat/aerosol-tire-inflators.cfm

they ought be banned.

Gotta B Red

Thanks Joe,
I think we're on the same page I have all the gear you've specified, save for the scissor action jack,wheel brace/spanner and the "Slime" is there anywhere here in oz that stocks this goop. I already have a schrader valve tool (had it for decades) The spare schrader valves are also an excellent and relatively cheap idea too. Thanks for the tip.
I do have a wheelbrace, four ended cross type, but a dedicated tool that doubles as a jack crank would be nice.
I agree completely about the tyre rotation immediately after or during the fill with sealant, to disperse it better over the inner surface area. Just seems like good science to me.
I'd call the above plan 'A'
But for more comfort I'd like a spare as well even if it has to be a spacesaver, or my plan 'B'.
Thanks very much I appreciate you sharing your experience and knowledge.
Cheers,
Andy

Gotta B Red

I didn't have to look very hard at all.
"Slime" have an Oz website and it seems Big W are stockists and there are very likely more.
One short testimonial I read advocates the use of this product in 'New' tyres as a prophylaxis against punctures.
I doubt I'd try it as a prophylactic though it could the one 'puncture' you didn't need to have!

http://slime.com.au/
http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisure/bikes-accessories/parts/bpnBIGW_0000000025529/slime-tyre-tube-sealant][url]http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisure/bikes-accessories/parts/bpnBIGW_0000000025529/slime-tyre-tube-sealant[/url]
It looks as though this(the latter) link is pitched at the treadly market but I'm sure the full range of their products would be available.

Cheers,
Andy

wankski

yep - no worries...

slime is freely available... any decent auto shop should have it... supercheap, autobarn - but also try Kmart's auto sections...

otherwise ebay it.

obviously ya... sealant vs spare is something you need to consider yourself... but sealant if a lot easier as you don't have to remove and replace the actual wheel...
you probably don't have to raise the car and spin the wheel by hand for a small puncture as you'll drive off shortly anyway...

i don't favour it as a preventative - as it does dry out and require reapplication to remain effective.... i think it's every 6 mo.... imagine the mess over a few years!

Gotta B Red

Thanks Joe,
After a little more research I was suitably impressed and I have bought some 'Slime'.Most impressive was it's claimed ability to offer greater coverage than other goops of the aerosol variety. Alfa themselves advise if the puncture although or despite being in the tread region, if within 25mm of the sidewall may not seal.This product claims to even coat and seal the sidewalls so on paper would appear to significantly outperform conventional 'Foaming Goo' of the aerosol type. I strongly suspect that this improved performance may well be a function of how well it is dispersed in the first instance, therefore I believe a better result could be obtained by rotating the tyre ASAP following it's deployment ensuring an even as possible coating of the tyres innards.

With the benefit of the retrospectascope I perhaps should have gripped two bottles as I have blown and shredded two tyres almost simultaneously at 100k plus (a little) both on the same side(F&R) in my Landcruiser ute. So I'm well aware it can and does happen.
I might do some experiments with this stuff to observe its gel time and it's cure properties,elasticity and adhesion and I'll post my findings.
Thanks again for the info and advice.
Cheers,
Andy

colcol

The gooly gum pressure pack cans are not a permament fix, it is to get you to a tyre dealer, to have the nail/screw/glass removed or leaking valve fixed, would prefer space saver to gooly gum, but it might be raining, and it will get you going quicker, or your space saver might get a puncture, little electric compressor would be good too, just depends on how much room you have in your boot, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Gotta B Red

Yes Colin I agree it's a contingency plan till a more definative solution is effected.
As for room in the boot, well there's enough room for the next G20 conference and then some .... it's positively cavernous compared to the briefcase slot you get in a Spider!
What was particularly appealing about Joe's suggestion was the product was not in a pressurised can and the potential for mishap is somewhat reduced, also non-toxic (claimed) and water soluble.
I have a small compressor, A bottle of goop and handful of new schrader valves (freebies) from a local tyre service.
I'm missing a scissor lift jack that won't damage the sills.Still looking for one, 'Genuine' preferred.
The spacesaver is still desireable and if the diagrams in the manual are correct doable but the problem may well be as you have already identified how it actually fits on the hub, pitch and offset as you've mentioned. Caliper clearance is an issue I have been advised particularly if the larger 330mm rotors are fitted. Not sure about the rear but it's a lesser problem as I understand.
The spacesaver is rapidly heading toward a "Suck-it and See" situation and I won't really know till I try it.
Thanks I appreciate and value your input,please keep it coming.
Cheers,
Andy