My Car (or me) is cursed!!

Started by Alfalfa, November 19, 2007, 12:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfalfa

OK. Bought my gtv thinkin I'd only need to do a little bit of work. boy has it snowballed. Not only did my first engine turn out to be useless....the 2nd one has as well. And in between all that, a fence fell on it.  >:(

I don't know what to do. The sleeves were too low in the first engine, so that was useless. After we got a new engine in, it was blowing a lot of smoke, came to the conclusion that the rings were gone. Took it back to Michael to sort out, got a call yesterday; one of the main bolts holding the engine together (can't remember the name) snapped in half as he was taking it off. Said it was all corroded. I bought this engine purely due to the fact that I was told it was rebuilt and shouldn't have any problems. Well the rings stuffed up because the original owner didn't run it in properly after he got it rebuilt and because it was sitting around for a few months, everything corroded because it was dry. I've spent roughly $3000 on little bits and pieces, including both donuts, engine mounts, gearbox mounts, the list goes on...

Keeping in mind it's only a 4 cylinder, what should I do? I can't justify rebuilding an engine in a car for $6000 when it's roughly only worth that amount. One option is to take my two engines, strip them, and build one complete engine from that, adding the odd part here and there. Another option is find another donor engine. Again, I'm now hesitant to do this just in case the same thing happens. My dream would be to have my car with the v6 in it. I love my full leather tan interior as opposed to the boring black plastic of the v6s but god, i want that sound. Logic tells me this would be a ridiculous option though, with the many many parts I'd need to change, correct?

Just like to hear your thoughts on my situation and don't worry, it hasn't turned me off alfas. I still love my gtv and will not rest till I have a fully functional car! This seems to amaze my friends; all of them have said if what happened to me happened to them; they would be turned off cars forever!

Cheers
Current:
2009 Ford Focus XR5T
1982 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (out to stud)

Previous:
1986 Nissan Pintara Shaggin Wagon

Scott Farquharson

Not a good story.  It sounds like you have got a bit invested so far so you probably should give up - I would go and buy a 2nd hand 2 litre motor from one of the reputable Alfa wreckers where they know a little bit about the history of the motor.  If not your and if you have the budget, rebuild one of the two you have.  Other options are to fit a twin spark from a 75, but this is a sizable investment.  Probably not worth trying to fit a v6.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Colin Byrne

If you really want to keep going i'd strip both engines down work out what you can use from each one, get a new piston & liner seat (includes rings) cost around $800 and re build the motor yourself (or get someone you trust to do it) that way you know what's been done rather than just taking someone's word for it
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)