Which badge do you like better?

Started by AlfaGino, May 15, 2012, 11:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlfaGino

Hi guys, i was interested in your opinion of the Front grille badges on the 156 JTS

my aunty and i both have the Gold one, and the coloured one on the back, and my mate has the coloured one on the front and back.
What do you guys like better, the gold ones seem uncommon to me, so i might keep it on, but not sure yet :S

John Hanslow

Shouldn't the badges on all modern Alfas be the same ?

I think the gold one is a result of fading and the chrome finish wearing off.

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

dehne

hi there,
This is a result of the clear coat perishing, and the colour simply falling off, the good thing is that its easy to replace the front badge
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

AlfaGino

Really? I didnt know, because my badge came like that and so did my aunts, and they both don't look faded they just look like they were made like that.

In that case I want to get a new one, because I want the car to be 100% clean and original :)
Does anyone know any parts dealers where I could get a brand new badge?  Save me the phone calls to all our sponsors as they don't show which parts they have on there site.

I know there's a few on eBay from England at roughly $35 AUD and there shown in original Alfa packaging, is it worth it? I heard GB is dodgy on eBay, but then again they have so many Alfa's over there..

And thanks :)

dehne

im sure all the sponsors will have them or get one from ebay
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

colcol

Hey AlfaGino, have a look on Alfa Romeo Alfasud, 33, 75, 90, 147, 156, etc various ebay sites, for Alfa Romeo badges, i paid about $35 for one in Australia, and its ok, but as ever email a few Alfa places for prices on badges, at the front the badges fade on 156's as they are angled, and cop a lot of sunlight, it burns off the protective coating, and the colors fade, these days all the Alfa badges interchange, although having said that there is most likely a new badge with different pin centres in it, [just to be different], find out your diameter and pin centres, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

AlfaGino

Thanks Colin, I was pretty positive that they were interchange but wasnt 100% sure,  I'll keep my
Eyes open and let you know how I go. I will be going to getter can belt done soon, maybe I can pick one up there as they usually have a few wrecked ones there.
I'll keep u posted

Matt.

bix

I believe the gold one is for facelifted 156s http://www.ebspares.co.uk/alfa_156/late_style_front_grille_badge_%28facelift%29/info.cfm. Does your mate have an older 156 perhaps?

There was a 147 parked outside our house the other day which had an Alfa badge - purely metal/silver - on the back in place of the coloured one. It looked rather nice. Anyone seen these?

AlfaGino

I'll take a close up of my badge, its all gold/silver with no colour left, but it actually looks good.

Both our 156's are late 2004 model

John Hanslow

If you like it the way it is, that's fine and keep it that way. I prefer the colour contast of a new badge - but that may also depend on the colour of the car.

Note that if someone does consider entering their car into a Show'n Shine event, you will have points deducted for a faded or damaged badge.

With numerous cars entered in any given class, winning may come down to something simple as that.

Cheers

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Evan Bottcher

I agree with prior posts - a badge without colour is due to sun fading/damage.  Even the gold-coloured plating fades off some of the badges and they end up silver.

Here's the evolution of the badges (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo#The_badge)

There was an additional badge used on some post-war 6Cs (?from memory):

This set is also missing the small badge with wreaths (as per bottom left), but without the 'Milano' - this change occurred when Alfa opened the Alfasud factory in Pomigliano d'Arco in the south of Italy.  All cars from then appeared with badges without the Milano.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

AlfaGino

The newest one looks the nicest, I'm gonna get a new one for the front, the back one is still perfect.

I don't mind the look of the old post war ones too, I bet they'd be hard to find these days

Davidm1600

That is a kind of yes and no answer, badges for Alfas such as Alfettas, 75s, suds from the '70s etc onwards no problem.  For 105 models ('early '60s onwards) ditto.

However, for pre 105 models, yes i suspect you are probably correct, harder to obtain.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

VeeSix

I have noticed the badges on 147s and 156s fade extermly quickly on the front, most are all faded now, check out the ones on used cars for sale!!!!!  :o
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

colcol

The reason they fade on the later models is that, they are at an angle, rather than verticle, for better aerodynamics, they are exposed to more sun, give your new badge a polish, when you polish your car, and give it a wax coating as a bit of protection from the elements, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]