What to do with my beloved Alfa..

Started by Alfalfa, May 12, 2012, 12:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfalfa

Hi all,

been awhile since I last showed my face round here, busy times!

So as a couple of you are aware, I bit the bullet, bought a new car and put my 82 gtv out to stud in November last year. Rego runs out in August and I'm in two minds as to what to do. The way I see it I have 3 options atm

1. Leave it as it is, cover her up and look to restore her in the future/turn it into a racecar
2. Sell the car as is
3. Sell the car as parts

Overall its in ok condition, problem areas are bodywork and I believe the transmission will need to be replaced as there is a hairline crack in the mount where it actually is fixed to the car (just above rear brakes). Engine is good with only about 40k since rebuild, has koni yellows, brakes are good, tyres are good, interior is in not bad nick and its still one of the only plastic bumper gtvs ive seen with tan leather.

Just wondering people's opinions are..I'm sure a few of you have been in a similar situation!!

Cheers,

Christian

Current:
2009 Ford Focus XR5T
1982 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (out to stud)

Previous:
1986 Nissan Pintara Shaggin Wagon

1750GT

Gee that is a tuff decision Christian, especially given you've given her a rebuild! I still think the two litre is the pick, given its lighter engine and much sharper handling benefit because of that (I know I'll be shouted down by those with a six under the hood) and really not that much power loss to the 2.5 litre. Of course once the 3 litre came out there was quite a bit of difference in power.

You should use my sons adage. He has tricked up his car with some neat suspension, exhaust and engine mods and of course wheel and tyre combo. The car is now a bit of a weapon; the body - good condition but not perfect. His response is that he doesn't really care about the body (nor the interior which is again in good but not perfect condition), because his main aim is to create a car he can use every day and take to the track and on rallys on the weekends.

So if you take his adage, fix that suspension and enjoy your car (if you have the readies). My view on "future resto's" is that invariably the car goes to the gods before you get around to it and then its all too hard. So i think the decision is whether you keep it going or sell it. In terms of rego you can now go onto club plates for around $100 per year, making it cheap to keep running a second vehicle and you can always just take out third party insurance for not mauch more. Once a car goes out of rego the value plummets anyway (if your going to sell it), likely is as well that you wouldn't recover that re-build if you went to sell it. Anyway some food for thought.

Now I am also interested in the Focus? How you finding the five potter, are they as good as everyone says they are and how do you find all that power going to the front wheels? But of some interest as well is the Pintara Shaggin Wagon? Now I am not one to enquire into someones personal life - but how did you get shagged in a Pintara? not that there would be anything wrong with that of course!

1750GT