what a good well priced tyres for Potenziata rims

Started by ARQ164 Shane, April 01, 2012, 09:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARQ164 Shane

I have a set of Potenziata rims in the shed and I am not sure what would be the best choice
of tyre value for money. rims are 15x6 I think, I will need to check. I was thinking 205/55/15.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Cheers
Shane
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Neil Choi

Try Dunlop Direzza DZ Sport Z1.

Great on the road.  Not a race tyre but a high performance ROAD tyre.

A 147 GTA does pretty well with them on the track too.

scott.venables

I would use 195/55/15 or 205/50/15.  I got some Bridgestone Potenza RE001 at a great price, I think around $155 fitted.  They've been superceded now but you might be able to get the replacement for a good price or find somewhere with the RE001s in stock still. 

ARQ164 Shane

Thank you guys, that's a valuable advice.
The last set of tyres I bought were SIMS Chinese tyres, they are not the best  :-\
(bit cheap and nasty)

Cheers
Shane
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Storm_X

i know people that use Ginyu Chinese tyres for $90 and they get 30,000km they swear by them for road use.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Mic

I'm in the same boat here (need tyres for a potenziata) only I'm running 16" rims
Seems when you don't know what to look for you can't shop around, and when you finally find something right you're quoted $300 a corner.

Never will I again make the mistake of letting Bob Jane put 'some average tyres on' again. Ended up with "Deestone Carreras" on my Toyota, never before have I gone straight so many times on a wet roundabout at normal speeds. Avoid.

Mic
'90 75 3.0L 'Potenziata'
'95 Celica - Daily Driver

Neil Choi

I resisted from commenting other than to the direct question asked.

But here is a thought for you.  Whatever Alfa you are driving, at that a 75 3L Potenziata, a pretty potent machine and much loved I would expect.  

Now think about what is contacting between your pride and joy and the road, 4 contact patch probably each the size a bit bigger than your hand.  So you would think, well at least I do, I want the best contact/grip I can afford or get.  

So I think to go cheap or poor quality is false economy and does not justify an Alfa.  So I would agree with Mic and strongly disagree with Storm-X.

I budget about $1000 for 4 high performance tyres every 30-40K km.  You want grip when you least expect to.

Regards
Neil

DaveB

+1 to having good rubber - its the only thing that keeps you on the road.

IMHO, no other choice than Toyo Proxes for good value sticky rubber on Alfa 75 15" rims.

205/50/15 is a good size.

Been using them on a 75 P10, 3L and TS cars all century, no complaints.
without checking, pretty sure they are P4 Proxes, better tread pattern & slightly more expensive.
Lots of the euro alfa 75s use them too, madder drivers than me, still good reports.

2d.
DaveB

AR75's TS 2.0 & 3L Potenziata (Daily Drivers)
1950 Pug 203
Previously possessed by:
  Sud, 105 Coupe & Berlina, 75V63L
With a bit of Brera on the side