what is the good oil for NON lsd 116 trannies?

Started by michaeljc, March 05, 2012, 05:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaeljc

i've read the related forum posts and decided on the Redline shockproof gear oil. However these posts were mainly to do with the LSD diffs, although one of the posts stated that there was no real need to differentiate b/n lsd and non-lsd trannies for the redline gear oil.

i am just about to put a second hand transaxle into my GTV and need to get suitable oil for it

As my 84GTV is for a little road use and mainly (hopefully very soon) sprints I am keen to either confirm (or otherwise) that:
1. should I go for the LIGHTWEIGHT SHOCKPROOF rather than the SUPERlight shockproof
2. the redline oil is also suitable for my NON-lsd transaxle
also ........ 3. how many litres of oil go into the transaxle?

thanks ..... mick
2001 Subaru WRX
1999 Subaru WRX STI
1984 Alfetta GTV

MD

Quotei am just about to put a second hand transaxle into my GTV

Mick, if you know exactly the condition of this transmission, then it is entirely ok to put a very expensive brew of oil in it. Either one would do the job. However, if you do not know the condition and you have not personally driven a car with it, I might suggest that :

1 The transmission is stripped down and examined and attended to as required or,
2 Install and take pot luck but fill with any reasonable oil such as the Penrite product or Valvoline etc.

Hoping that an expensive oil is going to cure all ills by itself is well,er, shooting for the moon.  ;D

Depending on the temperature, if I remember correctly, the transmission will take about 2.85 litres before it starts to flow out of the filler hole.

Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

michaeljc

thanks for comments .... good idea re the cheap oil for starters

2nd hand TA came out of an alfetta sedan that was run into. i was told the TA was in quite good condition ... and at $175 complete with callipers and driveshafts i was happy to take a punt ... so fingers crossed

the plan is to strip and rebuild the existing TA (hopefully with an lsd) that is in the car. it seems to work well, including shifting into 2nd .... EXCEPT for a severe whine/drone that ramps up to loudest at about 80km/h. it seems to get less severe by time you get to 100km/h. noise is definitely speed related rather than propshaft rpm related and is also independent of what gear .. or even if in neutral.
i have not spent a lot of time investigating the noise and will laugh at myself if it ends up being a wheel bearing. the whine/drone at 80km/h sounds like you are flying in a single prop light plane. any comments on suspected cause of the whine/drone noise welcome tho'.

meanwhile re the TA oil .... the plan is to drain the old oil from the 2nd hand TA thru a pantyhose filter to see what comes out with it ..... hopefully all is clear. if so then i'll refill with some cheaper gear oil and see how it goes. if all good then i'll drain and pop the redline in and i'll have the luxury of time to rebuilt the existing TA.

that is the plan ..... which is good, cos it gives me something to change :-)

assuming the TA is good, i am still curious as to opinions on the Redline lightweight vs. the superlight gear oil.
.... also on opinion on a suitable CHEAP gear oil for the initial TA trial
2001 Subaru WRX
1999 Subaru WRX STI
1984 Alfetta GTV

MD

Cheap oil.
Valvoline.

Whine= likely a period noise from pinion and ring gear wear.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0