156 Selepeed loosing electrical power

Started by xzyfer, February 28, 2012, 10:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xzyfer

Hey all, I often come here to read but this is my first post so please be gentle.

I have a 2000 156 selespeed. I've owned it for 7 years and I get it serviced regularly.

In the last week, whilst driving, I appear to be intermittently loosing electrical power.
It stated with the radio randomly turning itself off and instantly back on, but over the last couple days it's gotten progressively worse.
At time the speedo needle will just drop for a moment, abs and handbrake lights come on, and more recently it get dropped into neutral and my selespeed light comes on.
I've noticed it often, but not always, happens in sync with gear changes (I assume due to the drain on battery power).
Tonight whilst idling I could visibly seem my headlights flickering, and my electric windows and sunroof struggled to close.

With no real automotive knowledge I'm assuming this is due to a dying battery. Is there a newbie DIY way to determine if this is the case, and possible rule out a faulty alternator?
Or am I completely off the mark?

Neil Choi

Stick a multimeter (+ve to +ve) across the battery with engine running, should be 14V, if not ie 12V or less, faulty alternator.

But sounds like a dying battery, once it is dying you will get all sorts of funky electrical happenings.  I just had one died but on a non-Alfa. 

Just get a battery with enough CCA (more the better) and you will okay.  Use jumper leads to help change battery so you don't lose battery connection hence your radio code, but check that you still have your 4 digit code in the service pouch.

Hope this helps.

Neil

xzyfer

Thanks for your reply Neil.

I thought as much, I'm hoping to replace my battery in the morning.
I do have my 4 digit code. What will I need this for exactly?

Neil Choi

The 4 digit code is for the radio.  When and if you disconnect power to the car, your radio will not work until you re-enter the code.

Guard the code with your life, ie write it down in a dozen places so you will not lose it.

colcol

Have the battery checked before you replace it, if you replace the battery and you still have problems, then it is most likely the Alternator, a real mongrel to replace in a 156, buried at the back of the engine, your radio screen will show "entercode- - - -", just press the numbers on the buttons and presto your radio will come to life, and you won't have to retune the stations, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]