Panel beater needed in Brisbane ....

Started by L4OMEO, October 31, 2011, 12:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L4OMEO

Hi everyone

My wife was out in the 156 yesterday afternoon, parked at the lights when she got hit from behind by someone who didn't recognise the colour red. My wife's alive - which is a good start - and had xrays and a CT scan following the accident which ruled out anything serious, so hopefully there won't be any long-term effects.

The 156 may not be so good. At first glance it appears superficial - all damage seems contained to the left-hand side of the bumper, and while that obviously needs replacing it still doesn't look too bad. Opening the boot though, and the rear panel is compressed against the spare wheel and the boot floor is now quite buckled along the left-hand side of the wheel-well and creased just behind it. My inexpert opinion is that it's all fixable and the integrity of the car hasn't been compromised too greatly, however I can see dollar signs and lots of them. The possibility that it may not be economical to repair is a very real threat despite the outwardly minor damage.

We're going through the insurance process so it will (touch wood) all be taken care of, but I'm interested to hear from anyone who has experience with panel-beaters in Brisbane that they could recommend (or recommend to avoid). Also keen any any feedback from the circumstances described above - I don't do this every day and sometimes it's easy to overlook the correct action at the time so comments welcome.

Cheers

PS my mild attitude above is not reflective of my true feelings on this incident, but I do not want to jepordise the outcome in any way. I'll post a more honest update with photos and expletives at a later date.
2002 156 GTA

ItalCarGuy

Well it is definitely good new that the wife is ok, there is nothing nice about watching a fast approaching car in the rear vision mirror. Not so good with the alfa. Not sure how easily all those panels are to replace.  Which side of Brisbane would you prefer for the panel shop? I can recommend my friend's shop http://www.impactpanelworks.com.au/ at Moorooka as he has all the good gear and doesnt do anything shoddy. New booth, fancy Spanesi Touch Measuring machine that has this arm that you measure points on the chassis and it feeds the data into a computer that is attached to it to reference against the factory data measurements and tolerances and then that info is fed into the chassis straightening bench. I was impressed when I saw how it all works. I do have a vested interest I guess in that he is a friend and is doing my car but he will give you his honest opinion. (He made sure I was aware of what I was getting myself into with my Giulia resto, stupid me for not listening!)

hammer

Hell Rory, that is rotten luck in your gorgeous 156.

I had a rodeo ute reverse into my 156, taking out the bonnet, headlight, left guard, bumper and a few other bits and pieces. It was drivable so I took it straight to Gemini Smash Repairs in Taylor st, Bulimba (they used to be privately owned but sold out to Gemini a couple of years back). They quoted, Shannons approved the quote, it was fixed inside two weeks and they did a great job. They did quite a sloppy job repairing my race car after that, but I guess they figured it only had to look good at pace.

Best of luck mate.

Brent

L4OMEO

Hi Derek, Hammer, and those who replied by PM.

Greatly appreciate all your feedback (and sympathy). Since it's going in for assessment tomorrow I'll know more at that stage and from there can follow-up on your recommendations.

Regarding the other driver - after driving into the 156 he didn't even bother getting out of his own car, so my wife - clearly in pain, and still is - had to get out of the Alfa and go up to his car to get details. He was too busy stuffing a burger into his face. While he gave legitimate details at the time, since then he's not answered or returned any calls for other info required by our insurers, so the only other way we had to satisfy them was to lay a police report. In doing so, and in light of the circumstances of the accident, we've been advised the driver will automatically be charged for not driving with due care and attention. If he had done the right thing by us he would have avoided this. Love to see the premiums for the 22-year old's beloved XR8 after this. Karma huh.

Postscript - I had only just finished writing a 6-page article for the next issue of Per Sempre Alfa on my recent trip to Bathurst in the 156. It survived a 2500km road trip without incident, but a 3km run to the local shops is another story  :'(

Rory
2002 156 GTA

MD

Rory,

Add this guy to your collection. Wont be handy or cheap but it will be professional. Tip. Don't tell him I sent you. :)

Cam's Panel & Paint
Cnr High Rd & Albert St
BethaniaQLD4205
(07) 3805 5266
M 0416 247 187
camspanelandpaint@bigpond.com

Hope it all works out well all round.

Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

L4OMEO

Thanks MD,

At this stage I'm not even certain I'll have a say in where it goes. From what I understand the insurers will provide me with a list of approved repairers, but if I'm not happy with any then apparently I can submit my own choice for approval. Hopefully their list won't be full of names like 'Dodgy Bro's Panelworks', or 'ACME Repairs', or 'Bog Is Us', but nothing would surprise me  ;)

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

Darryl

I know some insurers will say you don't get their "lifetime warranty" or whatever on repairs if you don't go with their repairer, but will let you take it somewhere else (assuming price competitive etc). Any(*) decent repairer will fix it themselves of course if its a ligit quality of repair issue.

(*) 2 repairers so far I've needed to call on that, no hassles with either - one has since retired and one I PMed you about.