Fitting Euro QLD plates to a 147

Started by MJF, August 08, 2011, 10:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJF

Hi Queenslanders

I have purchased a set of euro plates for the 147 and am wondering if anyone has had experience fitting these?  I have seen some with plate frames but haven't looked closely to see how they are bolted on.

Bit of a novice question but any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Michael
1974 Mazda RX-4 Coupe [in pieces]
2002 Peugeot 307 XSE [past]
2004 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA [daily driver]

John Hanslow

I have a 147 and fitting slim line plates with an new  covers - so this reply not specific to Euro plates.

However at the rear, I just screwed the replacement slim line plate straight in.  I did note that while it was straight, it was not quite centred to take advantage of the different proportion to the bumper.  It just looked as if it was crammed into the top of the fitting - which it was as I only used the top holes for fitting.

Now I did notice a range of locations for fitting different sizes and thought a Euro plat would fit quite adequately.  All you would need is an electric drill and some suitable self tappers.

You can buy a backing plate from Autobarn etc but I do not think it is necessary.

For the front, I just screwed in the place using the top and central holes so I do not bend the plate.  Later I will properly fit it with corner screws and gently bend the plate to follow the curved bumper mounting.

Cheers
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Cool Jesus

Hi Michael, sounds like you like detail if your contemplating attachment of plates. I used a set of Lakin multifit plates on my 159 with euro plates which contours the shape of the car, really looks neat and much better then just screwing the plates onto the plastic bumper. The are a little pricey, but if your not overly concerned about that and more interested in jthye look I'd definately recommend them. Alternatively, if you have some skills you could fabricate and alumium backing plate (or get a local metal works to do it), screw it to the car with nylon bush spacers (from Bunnings) and afix the plates with either/and good strong double sided tape or descreat screws with cover plate. Check out their gallery and you'll see what I mean.

PS they give discounts to car club members too...I'm pretty sure there's a banana bender's AROCA branch too... :P
http://www.lakinplates.com.au/
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

MJF

Hi Guys

I couldn't find decent plate holders at any of the auto parts stores so I went down to Brisbane Alfa and they were more than happy to give me set of clear plastic covers.  So as an interim solution I have screwed the plates in and attached my free covers but will be on the look out for some plain covers.

Cool Jesus - Those Lakin plates look great, do they attach to the body of the car and hold the plate or to they attached directly to the plate?

Cheers
Michael
1974 Mazda RX-4 Coupe [in pieces]
2002 Peugeot 307 XSE [past]
2004 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

Michael, I bought a set of Multi-fit brackets at the time. Lakin's website seems to have grown since my purchase just over a year ago. lots more reviews and photos. You'll also find an instructional video which shows how they attach the bracket.

The metal bracket is attached to the car with 4 spacers and screws, this keeps the unit off the duco and avoids the paint work from being scratched/rubbed from vibration as would occur from the usual method of attachment (ie only two screws at the top of the plate, so the bottom of the plate can vibrate). It also helps when cleaning around the plate, grit doesn't get caught around the plate.

The plate is then attached to the bracket via several methods with or without plate covers. Either two screws at the top and double sided tape at bottom or just double sided tape depending on the look you're after. There's a porsche with the plate just stuck to the bracket (no screws, no plate cover) which really looks the part, check out their gallery for various examples to float your boat, they also supply coloured dots to cover the unused screw holes on the plate to finish it off. If required, they can also custom curve the bracket to form fit the curviture of the bumper if required with figuresupplied by the customer (if they doen't already have a sample), this avoids the plate jutting out etc, and looks good too...

As I said, they do seam a little pricey, but it comes down to whether you want that detail or not. I was a little antsy at the price but more than happy with it once installed, especially when there was no comparable product available at the time. I've also seen special cars about with some thought put into the custom plates to then see them just screwed on with big ugly screws or real cheap looking covers.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Ok, here is what my brother did on his T.S. 147, had new slimline Vic number plates, went to Autobahn and purchased some KINGPIN brand number plate covers, the package that has a Maserati on the front, these have plastic flexiable covers and backing plates, so they followed the curve of the front bumper bar , it remains to be seen if they crack in the future, but all the existing self tapper holes lined up without the need to drill more holes, and it came with a good supply of different sized black self tappers and spacers, these sorts of fiddly jobs can take hours, but it was all done in 10 minutes and the plastic covers had pinstriping that looked good too, but despite me telling him he should have purchased some pink windscreen wipers to make his 147 look "fully sick", he refused!, and why would Alfa Romeo hire styling god WALTER DE SILVER, to do a brilliant job on styling the 147 & 156, and hiding the back door handles to make them look like a coupe, and then put about 10 blank holes in the back bumper bar, so every number plate in the world would line up to the holes, why not leave the bumper undrilled and let the local number plate attacher drill their own holes, then you don't end up with a bumper looking like a cheese grater, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]