GTV6 wont start

Started by alanm, August 07, 2011, 06:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanm

Hi all

I bought a 75 and neglected the GTV6.
Didn't start it for 3-4 weeks and when I did try it makes a loud clicking sound and does not crank over at all.

I thought it might be the battery and tested the headlights an electric windows and both appear to function well.
Should I still assume it to be the battery and swap one over from afore mentioned 75, or is this loud clicking a symptom of something else?

The car started without any problem before being left in the garage. I know... Alfas have feelings.

Cheers
Alan
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

colcol

Give your battery a good charge or swap it for a good one, then if the car still won't crank over its starter motor problems, you may have a dirty connection on your battery or starter motor terminals, and when you go to crank it over, there is not enough juice in the wire to activate the starter motor, charge the battery first and see how you go, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

relax the clicking is just the starter solenoid going off - where u have insufficient power to fire the starter...

as per colin, try a known good battery..

alfagtv58

Nope, the car is a write off, give it to me and I will dispose of it for you Alan.

this has nothing to do with the fact that I got a few laps of Winton in a GTV6 on the weekend and I now lust after one.  Thanks very much Scott.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

kartone

alfagtv58, I'll give you $500.- for it no questions asked  ;D
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

alanm

Once again, my apologies for taking so long to get back to you guys!

Colin, you were 100% right, I recharged the battery and she started like a champion!
Wankski, it was the clicking sound that worried me, if I hear that again It wont worry as much!
AlfaGTV56 and kartone thanks for your offers but I will hang onto the old girl for a little longer.

When the car did start and I drove it for the first time in a month or more I was reminded why I bought it in the first place.
The car has CHARISMA. It just makes you feel good getting behind the wheel. Interestingly, it looks and feels and smells like a classic when you get out of a 75 (the GTV6 has such a distinctive smell). The 75 looks and feels more like a 'modern' car.
The 105 boys might view my 'classic' comment with some scepticism but that how it looked to me with fresh eyes.

Cheers
Alan
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33