Alignment and Gearbox Questions

Started by Two Dogs, July 03, 2011, 05:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Dogs

First one, I'm almost to scared to ask but I have noticed that the rear wheels on my Alfetta sedan are off to one side by about 20mm, so the question is:

Is there a possibility that the rear end can be set up poorly and needs adjustment or does it mean it's been whacked good and needs to go on a jig and straightened ?

Secondly, do sedans and GTV's have the same transaxle e.g. interchangable ?

Thanks Two Dogs

MD

QuoteIs there a possibility that the rear end can be set up poorly and needs adjustment or does it mean it's been whacked good and needs to go on a jig and straightened ?

..yes and yes.

QuoteSecondly, do sedans and GTV's have the same transaxle e.g. interchangable ?

that's a yes.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Two Dogs

Thanks for the reply.

Specifically what area should I be looking at to determine wether it is a (hopefully) suspension set up problem ?

I have had a look through my repair manual but nothing seems particularly obvious to me.

Two Dogs

MD

OK. Sometimes you just have to have some qualified trade help. We all do. Please research your own area for a good wheel alignment workshop. Ask them to measure the alignments front > rear. If the geometry is not too far to adjust, things may only need an alignment and you can then forget about it. If not, they will advise you how to modify it for correction.

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that the wheel alignment is correct, however, the body fit of this alignment is just a classic "Monday" built car. It coud also be as you fear, a poor repair job. You need to find that out and it can't happen on an discussion forum. A good workshop inspection will reveal that.

The cost of such an inspection is minimal.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Two Dogs

Thanks for that, I was hoping it may just have been a case of the De Dion assembly attachment points at the front being adjusted(simple task).

Two Dogs