WTB 105 Berlina 2ltr bottom end

Started by Datso, May 24, 2011, 10:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Datso

Would like to buy 2000cc bottom end from a 105 series or Berlina prefer in Victoria.
Pm me for price and location if you have something to offer.
regards, Dave

Davidm1600

Hi Dave, just so you know, the 105 Alfa covers not just the GTV in all variants, but as well the Giulia, Berlina and Spider ;D

So a 2L GTV, Berlina and Spider motor are exactly the same.  While the Alfetta 1.8 and 2.0L 116 motors are essentially the same as the 105, there are some minor differences so that a straight swap is not possible with out making some changes, but it can be done.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Datso

Sorry and thank you for the corrections
Im after the engines fitted to the with a gearbox
so will need the spigot on the crank.
This would be the 105 gt coupes and berlinas I suppose.

Datso

aggie57

For what you're doing and the work you plan on doing an Alfetta bottom end is just as good. Better material, many more of them around in good nick and that spigot location hole can be easily machined into the crank. 
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Datso

Seems like the way but do you know how much the crank mod will cost?
Apparently it needs a fair bit of time to setup properly for the drilling and
its quite hard material to work with.

Nick Shardey

Just call Vin Sharp 9844.0147 he can do it easily, he's also a nice guy to chat to about your plans.

Buy what ever 2L you like, take out the crank and ask him to fix it; you will need to swap your sump and oil pump over though.

Good luck

Shards
64 105 Track Car (under resto now)

njh1964

Quote from: Datso on May 26, 2011, 09:33:25 PM
A bare block and crank will do

Hi Datso,

Last time I was there, Centre Road Wreckers in Springvale http://www.autowreckers.com.au/Home/Home.asp had a couple of Nord engined 116 Alfas which, although they had been picked pretty clean, still had blocks and probably the cranks in place. Might be worth a look.

Regards,

Nick
Now:
1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Complete Restoration Project
2002 Alfa Romeo 147 Twin Spark - Track Day Car
Previously:
1974 Alfasud TI - First Car

Datso

thank you! I was going there soon as the bottom ends can be had for under 100aud.
I hope the 116 cranks are as good or as stressed as the early 105 ones as I feel there could
be more stress on the cranks that run the prop-shaft to the transaxle compared to a conventional
5 speed. The weight of the prop shaft has to be considered I thought on the crank at different
rpms where I thought it causes some kind of stress that leads to the cracked crankshafts
being more common on these models and gtv? can anyone confirm if my thinking if failed.

I know the clutch has some give but conventional gearboxes act as a stress reliever before
the connection to the tail/prop shafts. A good insulated balancer crank pulley would help on
the other end from torsional stress.