Silicon sealant

Started by alfa duk, April 30, 2011, 03:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfa duk

I have a fuel cell in the back of a gtv6 and it continually leaks at the lowest outlet. I have tightened it which seems to stop it only to look a couple of days later and there it is dripping again slowly. I have tried other washers and tread tapes but no still leaking. I am thinking to use silicon, but will it effect the fuel or will it break down?
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

MD

Yes I feel for you. What a pain ! I have checked the Wurth site for their special silicon brew and the last line of the specifications says it is NOT suitable for use with petrol.
See here: http://www.wurth.com.au/catalogueview.asp?pdf=A04_0355.pdf

Their site is a bit difficult to use and I would suggest giving them a call and discuss your problem. Their products are generally regarded well in the trade and they just may have what you need .
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

dehne

does it have to be a silicon, if not i use a product called jenco or pheropray(think thats how to spell it) you get it from plumbing supplies. this stuff is a awesome it has so many applications, its a 2 part product and it sets like concrete it can be uses when its still leaking, i use this a lot for swimming pools both on dry areas but also underwater, and have filled a few petrol tank leaks as well, the father inlaw has also used it on leaking exhausts. so if you want a versitial product with a million and one uses this is it. but costs about 60 bucks but you get 1kg of it
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's