1750 Berlina Found

Started by aggie57, April 25, 2011, 12:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie57

Around 25 years ago I owned a 1750 Berlina, which was actually bought as a breaker but ended up becoming my daily driver for a while. I ended up selling it to a friend who used it to create a "new" car, by combining my car with another and completely rebuilding the mechanicals.

After a while he moved to the US, the car was passed on to his sister and then went into dry storage. He recently decided to find a new home for it. If no-one else wants it I'll take it on and get it mobile as a classic run about. I must admit I'm kind of hoping nobody does as we don't want to see it broken up; the idea is to keep it together.

The car is complete including trim, the mechanicals need a thorough going over, the seats are knackered (and from a 2000 Berlina), and there is some pretty serious but repairable rot in the left hand side sill. Here is a picture.

In the next few days we'll get it out of the garage, give it a good clean and post some more pictures.

Chassis number is 1461899, type 105.49 which I believe makes it a 1969 build series 1. I"ve sent an email off to Marco Fazio for confirmation and have posted this note on the BB as well.

Alister
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Davidm1600

H Alister, I do hope the 1750 Berlina is brought back to life.  It looks basically sound and as I am sure you are well aware, there are so few Berlinas, especially 1750s left today, that to part it out would be such a pity. From what I understand Giulia and Berlina cills are essentially the same, and unlike 25 years ago, new parts for them are so more readily available.

Over in the US, top condition Berlinas are getting top $ and are up there with Giulias.  Having had a 2L Berlina, I always had a soft spot for the 1750.  All the best with this one.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Berlina man

Hi Alister. 

Do you have any more photos of this Berlina?  Looks very restorable from the photos.

I have a couple of 2 litre berlinas including my pino green daily driver (ex-Melbourne car).

Let me know how the restoration progresses. 

Cheers

Don

berlinaman

Hi Berlina man, this is berlinaman. Great minds think a like? I also have a berlina but mine is a 1750 and always interested to hear of another.

cheers

Tony

EZEE

Hi Alister,

I am "newish" to the forum and love hearing these stories....I could be interested as well, certainly looks from first impressions like it is worth saving. I guess we are all waiting to see more pictures so keep us posted.

Cheers

Emmanuel

aggie57

Hi Guys

Sorry to say this hasnt gone anywhere.  I should have updated the post.  Looking at the car further it became very quickly obvious that there were a number of fundamental problems that needed fixing which were making the project not just uneconomical but too big a distraction from other projects and more.

Last time I saw the car it was still in the owners garage and he was wondering what to do next.  If you'd like to me put you in contact with him pm me your details.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

DADSGIULIA