John French Turbo delta on ebay

Started by ItalCarGuy, February 23, 2011, 01:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Gulliver

Seeing it's in Bendigo I bet you Dehne knows something about this. Without commenting or the sale price,condition etc that would in any way break any forum rules.   I would be interested in his comments. ( or can we comment on ebay listings from a probable non member ??? )
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

dehne

and of course i do, its a mates car they he works as a panel beater and does alot of resto work on alfas, mainly 105,s this is the one i told people about a while ago, the car is complete but unless he has put the interior back in it its out but all there, i think it is caged as well cant remember that one he has ran it at deca a few time as well, its a good strong car needs a little cosmetic work but for the price he is after you should have some cash left over
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

dehne

i think he was after around 7-10 yeah there are a couple of rust spots but was does not at this age without already haveing a cut and paste already but the body is not that bad and its really the mechanical you are after with one of these
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

bt46

Quote from: Choderboy on February 23, 2011, 10:04:13 PM
Quote from: dehne on February 23, 2011, 09:17:34 PM
i think he was after around 7-10 yeah there are a couple of rust spots but was does not at this age without already haveing a cut and paste already but the body is not that bad and its really the mechanical you are after with one of these

I know, I've got one.... with no rust.
Dehne. Absolute garbage!
Mechanicals can always be repaired and it wouldnt matter if the drive line didnt even exist. If the body is wriddled with rust it will cost thousands to repair correctly and will never be worth anything.

Mike

I dissagree, you are always after the best body you can get with an Alfetta.  Sure it's great you have a turbo delta engine, but if the body is shot it becomes an expensive proposition.  If your mate does up bodies for a living then he should put new metal in a repaint, then it'll get half decent money.  Nice wheels, I like the b45's on GTV's.

In incidentally, I have given my turbo delta some serious consideration and come to the conclussion that withe the twin charge runnign nicely, the turbo delta would be a very similar car to own.  Therefore I will be tidying mine up for sale ove the next couple of months.  I will be asking 9990 (not 10k :-)).  For that, the buyer will get rebuilt motor, brand new 300Hp turbo roller bearing (still in box), all parts to put car back to stock, rear coil overs, 26mm torsion bars, whiteline dedion bars, konis, big brakes, 5 simmmons 3pc rims, turbo delta boost gauge etc etc etc.  Body is basically rust free, paint is tidy, interior front seats need retrim and dash reskin (stuff I had planned to do if I kept it).  I will be reinstalling the new turbo to a high standard with all components on the turbo side refurbed and match ported etc.  Please if you know anyone looking for Turbo Delta No.1, let me know.  It will be sold for a little less than it owes me at this price, I want it to go to an Alfisti, and if it does not sell, that's also fine by me, but I can sell with the confiddence that this is a solid car that can be registered immediately and touched up as time permits, leaving the new owner with a very presentable piece of Alfa Romeo history.

I will be refurbing the simmons wheels and detailing the car to make it presentable.
That's my spill, it's amusing that another car should turn up at the same time I have made this decision, may the best car win :-p.

interested parties are welcome to contact meon the mobile on 0439003523.  It's not adevertised anywhere and I don't plan to until it's running and looking the way I want it to, so as they say the early bird gets the worm.

Cheers
Mike
cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

Mike

Hmm I see I've written the same thing at the same time , agree b46, body rust visible is the cruel tip of the iceburge once you go looking.  That car will need a thorough going over.  But at the end of the day the guy is not asking stupid money for it so I think  his price range reflects the condition.  I personally think a pristine example is worth 20k these days, and I would (and have in the past) offer that kind of money for one.  Blah blah, only worth what someone is willing to pay.

All I can say, is once people have driven an even slighly tickled turbo 2l Alfa, it's a real eye opener.  They make REALLY good horsepower, I love my twincharge for the stupid grunt it has.  Always nice to blow a few gtr's into the weeds ina car they can not even recognise :-)
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

bt46

Hi Mike. Yeah I had a laugh when i posted and saw your reply at the same time. Not having a go at the car, the price, turbo alfas or anything other than someone saying the mechanicals of an alfetta are more important to look out for than the rust. That is one of the most stupid comments I have seen on a forum ever. This is exactlly the kind of ill informed garbage that gets people into trouble when buying a car thats a little out of the ordinary and inevitably gives the brand a sour name.

Mike

QuoteNot having a go at the car, the price, turbo alfas or anything other than someone saying the mechanicals of an alfetta are more important to look out for than the rust.

I know, I'd take offence if you were, each to their own :-).

Plenty of mechanicals lying around, not many rust free bodies!  Well, not heaps of turbo delta engines around to be fair either.  It's 10k for a good paint job these days, and that's without rust to cut pay less, get thicker bog.  Delta engines are probably about 2500 complete, may or may not need rebuild...I know what I'd rather pay.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

BradGTV

why is everyone so scared of rust?
learn to do it yourself and it costs almost nothing  ;D
i personally think this is a fantastic car, for the money i have seen gtv's advertised for sale this in comaprision is great value!
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

bt46

10k 20k 30k where do you stop with a body resto? If the thing has to be taken down to the subframe it doesnt matter what car it is your going to be spending a house deposit. Whats even worse is the low price our beloved alfas are worth compaired to a ferrari or a heap of shit mg ect ect. I would rather be lumped with an engine that had its pistons melted into the cylinder head than a rusty shell. Nothing special about the delta engine and easy to rebuild or even replace if needed. Other than the snail and some bigger front brakes what was so great about these cars anyway. A period beninca turbo would be a much better prospect and even then all this stuff is way outdatted. Having said that ill still swap you my delta for your delta if you show me yours ill show you mine.

Brad no one is saying they are scared of rust thats just part of owning an alfa. What is being debated is the cost/time required to repair bad rust CORRECTLY and the stupid comment made by dehen that rust is less critical than mechanicals. Read the thread.

dehne

sorry if my comments have ill informed people they way it was ment is specific to this car re the mechanical, being you do not see many come up and rust is not that bad, i remember seeing a rolling shell for a gtv not long ago that was rist free for around a grand, and again the rust not that bad mech is great
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

dehne

ok all
so ive have just spoken to the owner of this car and his idea is to sell as is so you know what you are getting, not to fix it make it all pretty so it looks good today and shit in 12 months (this quote is just an example does not relfect on his work) the rust in it has been the same for the last 12 years he has owned it, and from a panel beaters view you can understand why he would sell as is.
This cars paint job is original and has not been repainted at all or any panels fixed, so for an original untouched car it is at a good price
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

Sheldon McIntosh

Your mate will be thankful that you're on the case dehne.  Ever thought about becoming a car salesman?

dehne

mmmm thought about it, then realized you need to deceive people and lie to them and though no, hang on this is the perfect job for me  ;D ;D
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past