Expansion tank repairs...

Started by martym00se72, January 25, 2011, 10:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martym00se72

Hi Guys,
I tried searching for this on the board but the search function is pretty SNAFU. Has anyone done a repair on their plastic expansion tank that worked? Mine has a crack at the base that is pissing out coolant so I almost always end up with a hot car. Over the weekend I put a fiberglass repair patch over it (after cleaning and sanding etc the area) and it seems to have adhered to the tank. I put it in last night and fired her up to see if it held - seems to but was just at idle warming up - started getting hot and the epoxy from the fibre glass started to smell a bit. Has anyone done the same and had it fail again over time? Are there alternatives? I know I could get an aluminium tank from IAP but I just got made redundant so cash is tight so looking for buget 'keep it going' options. I have seen one with bitumised foil tape applied in the same manner as the fibreglass I put on - what is that stuff called and where do I get it? I am not after original condition or good looks, just functionality. I will be getting a tank from IAP when some cash starts coming in again but until then, what is the best way to stay on the road?
Cheers
Marty
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

BradGTV

ive got a good one for sale if your interested, in sa too  ;)
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

grpa9x

marty,
i have a couple of second hand tanks laying around, you can have one if you are prepared to pay for postage.
cheers michael