GTV 6 2.5 V6 running problems

Started by Nikola, January 09, 2011, 04:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikola

I had a plenty problems with my GTV 6.Gone so far that on the end I change ECU and got my car working normally.All sensors and vaacums were checked by Greg Gordons manual for L-Jetronic and everything was fine for some short period when another problem appeared.

After the rainy night I got up in the morning and sat in my GTV and turn the ignition and next thing happened.She started to idle un evenly working on 4,5 cilinders,than 5,6 cilinders and when I started to drive she start to spit black smoke from exhaust and not working on all 6 cilinders,and no power.Like she is gulping a noodle.I came back to a parking lot and started quick check.Start changing one by one.Another AFM nothing,pull out a cold start injector,not leaking,changing rotor and cap,measuring fuel pressure which was fine.All that couldn't help,and everything stayed as it was like I didn't touch anything at all.

Next day I was driving it to my frend mechanic and while I was driving it and while she got warmer and warmer she allowed me to drive her from 3000 rpm's on beggining to 5000 rpm's when she did get warm.The feeling is like you hit a rev limiter.With other words as she is getting more warmer she allows you more rpm's.

After a week or so she stayed in garage of my frend mechanic I decided to start her and she did start at a glance of a key.As she was working I would be pressing a gas pedal few times to see how she works and she did well until she reached 80 deegre of celzius and than problem.As you press the gas pedal feeling is like you pressing it into nothing because there is suddenly no reaction but if you keep presing the gas pedal than she starts to gulp a noodle and starts not to work on all 6 cilinders,no more normal idle running.She drops to 500 rpm's and when I start pressing pedal again she is gulping noodle again and when I remove my foot from a pedal she dies slowly to a stall.I didn't try to start the engine again because I was so sad and dissapointed so I just locked her up and sad goodbye.

Anybody had a scenario like this??? 
1988. 75 3.0 V6 America-grey
1989. 75 3.0 V6 America-black
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black
1988. Milano Gold 2.5 V6 automatic-silver
1988. 33 1.3 Sportwagon-red

Nikola

1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black

redalfaracing

also replace fuel filter. If not already done, could be blocked with rust from the tank.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Anthony Miller

Check the sparkplug leads, mine would run on 5 and then 4 the wetter the weather got, changed the whole plug loom and problem solved. You should also check the distributor cap for cracks while your at it.
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

dehne

what about rear main oil seal at the back/bottom of engine i know when mine went, when you put the foot down it was sort of the same
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

dehne

when mine went the car ran like shit idle was shit accel was really shit ran like was on 4cyl i pulled engine out replaced and car fantastic again so it does effect it how i do not know must be something to do with compression
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

dehne

sorry king evan almighty knower of all thing in the world, but this time ur wrong wrong and yes wrong  ;D
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

Nikola

Never mind is it a bullshit or not.
Any body has some more ideas?
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black

Nikola

1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black

Typhoon90

L jet is very sensitive to unmetered air entering the engine, if the crankcase draws a lot of air in through a bad seal etc, it WILL affect the idle. Don't believe it? Take the oil filler cap off the engine when it is running.......however, I can't see a main seal allowing that much air through without the car looking like the Exxon Valdez.

Regards, Andrew.

aggie57

Quote from: Nikola on January 09, 2011, 06:41:52 PM
Never mind is it a bullshit or not.
Any body has some more ideas?

If it's temperature sensitive have you checked the water temp sensor?  I can't recall how it hooks into the injection but seem to recall hearing something similar In the past.

Can't see any connection between the RMS and this.......

Alister
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Nikola

My opinion is that she is not temperature sensitive but weather sensitive meaning humidity on or after the rainy day or no humidity on sunny day.I'm betting on a spark plug cables but I will check the cables this week once my mechanic finds a little time for my cursed GTV 6.
Only thing which is much confusing is that from a beggining of my story that before she was working better after engine gets warm and now she is working worse after engine gets warm in a manner that she was not working on all six cilinders on beggining of my story and now.
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black

Typhoon90

Don't misquote me or partially quote what I wrote. I know full well how the PCV system works, clearly you don't. It doesn't let air out, the PCV system draws excess combustion chamber gases out using engine vacuum.
The PCV system is fully capable of drawing far more air than blowby creates and any small leak in any gasket or seal will allow unmetered, fresh air to travel through the crankcase into the PCV system and thence into the engine, where it WILL affect A/F ratios due to being unmetered air.

Regards, Andrew.

Quote from: Choderboy on January 10, 2011, 01:10:29 AM

The crank case does not draw air IN, it lets air OUT. We call this blow-by. The small amount of pressure that makes it's way past the piston rings.
That is why you have a breather, to let this pressure out, otherwise the pressure can cause oil leaks.

I've been thinking about Dehne saying that changing the rear main seal solved his problem of the engine running poorly, but I think he just had a bit of a coincidence on his hands.