156 Climate control faulty?

Started by bteoh, January 04, 2011, 08:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bteoh

Hi,
I have a 156 GTA 2002/3 which has had problems with the air con not being cold. I have had it regassed but it was initially cold but not super cold. However, I noticed it gets cold on the left vents but not the right (It has individual controls for either side). However, even setting the dials to 16.5 degrees or lower for the driver's side makes no difference.
Has anyone had this problem before and what was done to fix it?
I suspect it could be related to the stepper motor not working properly but that would mean removal of the dash to get to it. Hopefully that's not the case and there's a simple solution to this problem?
Thanks for any help.

DDALFA

buddy i have 156 jts 2.0 and have exactly same problem .....left  side is cold but right side is not ....will be counting on the responces too ...

ANG156

Quote from: bteoh on January 04, 2011, 08:59:04 PM
Hi,
I have a 156 GTA 2002/3 which has had problems with the air con not being cold. I have had it regassed but it was initially cold but not super cold. However, I noticed it gets cold on the left vents but not the right (It has individual controls for either side). However, even setting the dials to 16.5 degrees or lower for the driver's side makes no difference.
Has anyone had this problem before and what was done to fix it?
I suspect it could be related to the stepper motor not working properly but that would mean removal of the dash to get to it. Hopefully that's not the case and there's a simple solution to this problem?
Thanks for any help.

Sounds like your control unit on the dash is broken. My mates GTA had a similar problem up until two weeks ago before we pulled it out and replaced it with a s/h unit. His right side dial wasnt working but the left was. Be careful though, the GTA unit is different than the normal 156 one, i believe it is the colour. If your going to need to find a replacement unit, there were 2 GTA's at auction in sydney and QLD last week so i would be trying breakers there along with the club sponsors. My mate got his from andrew at alfamotive NSW for $350 + postage to give you an indication of the price. Pretty easy job to do if your handy with tools so you can save a bit on the install. 

DDALFA

HI ANG 156,  for 156 Are you talking about the the control knob that is on the dash bord ( the rotating thing) or it is something internal?

ANG156

I am talking about the control knob on the aircon console, the rotating knob that allows you to select the temperature. We replaced the whole unit. However, when we opened up the broken unit we found that a microchip had come out of its position. I soldered it back in but never tried to see if it works since we had put the car back together and my mate was hesistant to take it apart again.

MOSTRO

Hi Ang,

I have a spare control unit at home.  Bought it as I thought I had a faulty hazard light switch but it turned out it was the relay.

So if you need a new heater control unit, just PM me.

colcol

My JTS wasn't blowing a lot of air out of the centre drivers vent, so i pulled the the unit that sits on the top of dash that houses the two vents and display unit and found the little knurled wheel to control switching the vent off and on wasn't working correctly as it had becaume tight due to lack of lubrication and wasn't opening the vent, a bit of silicon lube and it worked again and cool air to driver, not a job for the faint hearted, all the centre dash has to be dismantled, so seek profesional help if you are an backyarder, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]