Child Seat anchor points in 159 JTS wagon

Started by bix, January 01, 2011, 12:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bix

Happy New Year to one and all.
I have just put a deposit down for a 159 JTS 2.2 Wagon which I'll pick-up next week. I wasn't able to locate the anchor points for child seats / restraints. I saw there was a housing in the roof but not your typical anchor points which the seat buckle would connect to. Is there something in additional I will need to anchor the seats, or have I just missed something?

Thanks in advance.

Joe Garra

they are low down on the back of the seats.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

Joe Garra

it's easiest to pull the seat forward slightly , drop the buckle down, and then attack from the back. Or pull the front seat forward to give you room to buckle the child seat with the rear seat folded down.
        Giulietta QV
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

bix

Thanks Joe. Is the anchor point actually on the back of the seat, or down on the floor? It would seem strange to have them on the seat as this is a moveable part, and perhaps not as safe as something fixed to the structure.

Joe Garra

it's the only spot I could find. the luggage hooks are on the side. I checked the manual last night and there is no mention of the anchor points for the wagon.
        Giulietta QV
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

bix

Joe,
Any idea what the recesses in the roof are for?

Regards,
Paul

Joe Garra

if you mean the ones behind the rear seats, they are for the pull up netting to attach to.
        Giulietta QV
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

bix

Roger that. Thanks Joe. Finally, are you happy with the Sportwagon? Just doing some budgeting for the next month and starting to sweat a little  :o

Joe Garra

it's been really good, battery died at 3 years and RACV couldn't start it , so it got towed to Geelong - new battery and it was fine. we are probably trading it in this year, 4 year lease was up in October, so re-financed it till we get a look at the giulietta in the flesh. If the girls , who are getting older so need for big child seats is diminishing, can fir comfortably, we'll probably get one.
        Giulietta QV
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

bix

Just to confirm, the anchor points are on the floor right behind the seats. There are 3 fixed to the floor (with child seat pics on them) and seem v. strong as you would expect.

Joe Garra

yep, except ours only has two. Anmd would you believe in 4 years I had never noticed the little pictures till I looked now!  ;D
        Giulietta QV
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

bix

My manual makes mention of the child restraint mounting procedure under the Alfa 159 Sportwagon section of the Owner's Manual. It apparently comes with a new European standard called "ISOFIX" which uses not only the upper belt (which we've been talking about) but has additional lower metal fasteners that come out of the bottom of the cushion and attach to "ISOFIX" compatible child seats. Thanks Joe for your help.

shiny_car

Unfortunately, ISOFIX is not approved by ADR, and therefore not 'legal' in Australia. As such, you won't find any ISOFIX baby/child seats available from Australian retailers.

It's a pity, cos it seems a good system, tried and trued in places like Europe. Most modern Alfas come with ISOFIX fitting, as do other marques. But alas, no seats available.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey