156 engine off but cooling fan stay on, normal?

Started by Josh, November 14, 2010, 01:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

I would like to ask is it normal that when the 156 engine is turned off but the cooling fan stays on?

Normally in my car, the cooling fan stops as soon as the engine is tuned off, and I never experience the cooling fan staying on.

However, last night the fan stayed on for more than 15mins after the engine is off, so I was worried that It will get a flat battery if I leave it, so I took it for a long drive. After turning the engine on and off a few times after the drive, it was fixed and the fan stops as soon as the engine is off.

Any idea whats the problem?

Cheers

dehne

thats fine mine does the same let me take a guess that you have only had this car this year, and now that its heating up the fan will want to come on earlier and stay on longer/still on when car turned off, it just wants to cool every thing down still so dont worry its normal
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Josh

Thanks for the reply,
Yes you are correct, I only had this car since May this year.

But is it normal that when the engine is on (while driving the car), and the temperature gauge is under 90 (in between 70-90), but the fan is still running all the way?

and also before I turn off the engine, the temperature gauge was also around 80, which is not hot,
but after I turn the engine off, the fan runs in full speed for a long time. 

Still normal or better get it checked?

Cheers

ALFA156DALE

Mine does the exact same thing altough my temp gauge has alfaitis (doesn't always work), i think its normal as it does go off after a while, i have only had my 156 for a few years but rarely drive it so i  have the same thought of alfa getting a bat flattery , i suppose its normal, is it?
Thanks
Dale
-------------------------------
Alfa 156 2.5ltr V6
Land Rover TDI 300
Holden Kingswood 202

spieret

I had the same problem on my GTV, you need to take it to an auto electrician and have the relays checked. Mine needed replacing and they also repaired the control relay. Cost is between $100 - $200 depending on the auto electrician. My fans run perfectly now and only come on when needed and not run continuously like they used to.
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

dehne

mine does the same, and for taking it to an auto elect is ok i have chosen not to as i do not want to offend the alfa gods and more probs get created for the little extra time its on i will live with it
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

spieret

The Alfa gods weren't offended when I had mine fixed, in fact I made sure I sacrificed a cat and payed homage. The car now runs extremely better.
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

Josh

Thanks everyone!
got it checked today and it was caused by one of the faulty relays!

its all good now
Cheers!