Alfa Owners in Tasmania

Started by Miss Alfa Sprint, October 06, 2010, 12:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Alfa Sprint

Hey everyone,

I am in Hobart right now visiting my brother

I saw a lovely 1970 Guilia Super in Hobart CBD today with an Alfa Romeo Owners Club sticker on it and i couldn't help but stop the owner to talk to him!! Found out he wasn't a member yet and the sticker was from the previous owner. However i did mention to him that possibly a Tasmanian division could start up one day and he was very interested!

In fact i have seen many Alfa's here in Tassie and i think it would be worth a try :)

Miss Alfa Sprint
1979 Alfasud Sprint Veloce 1.5L (Blue)
1989 Alfa 33 1.7 IE (Red)

To see my amazing photography visit http://www.marisagangemi.com/

John Hanslow

Nothing like an interstate visit to capture the passion of the marque.

The Club has been looking at this Tassie involvement and hopefully some thing may happen next year.   In building up regional chapters to complement interstate membership, we are anticipating some resources being put forward to get a Tassie chapter going.   Still a bit of work to do.

We will follow up on the interest there and then work with those Alfista to get it all happening. 
It is just getting it right as technically you would run it as a regional chapter - but really it is small state base member group.

In the end, it does not matter to much as long as we all have a promote the interest and love of the marque.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

scuzzyGTV

Hi guys
Whist there currently isn't a chapter of AROCA in Tas, we do have Club Motori Italia. As far as I'm aware, and you should check with people like Davidm1750, there once was, but we didn't have the numbers to keep it running, which is why we now have a combined Italian car club.
I'm by no means opposed to the idea of having AROCA here, especially if it means I can get hold of the Vic mag, but it may mean affiliation with CMI.
Anyway I'll leave that to those on the committee's to decide  ;)
And yes there are some great Alfa's getting around down here.
Scott.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

spoynter

I would certainly join an AROCA division if we had one down here  :)

Davidm1600

Hi Miss Alfa Sprint, indeed Scuzzy is correct re the history of AROCA in Tassie and the existance of CMI.   Ditto Sam knows all about this since he is a member of CMI, in fact the past president of the club.  I currently am the president of CMI, and a long term/founding member of the club.  CMI has existed for around 15 years plus, forming out of the ashes of the AROCA Tas which itself existed for around 10 years. 

I was a member of the AROCA having joined back in '83 and watched it die, myself being one of the last couple of members.

Now, while this issue of re-forming AROCA in Tassie is an interesting idea, I suspect it really is a non-starter.  Again Sam would be aware why I say such things.  CMI itself currently has around 50-70 members depending on different times of the year etc.  CMI runs hillclimbs, trackdays (regularity runs/driver education days), we used to have skid pan days, we hold social events (drives, cryptic car rallies), display days, dinners, produce a high quality bi-monthly magazine, provide support to competitors in Targa Tassie etc.  We also on occasions link in with other car clubs to hold various events, are CAMS affiliated and by all accounts run some of the most effective and efficient club based motor sport events in the State, and yet we still struggle to get sufficient Italian cars competing and/or have members with Italian cars attending some events on occasions.  Approximately 50% of our membership in fact don't even have Italian cars nor appear to be interested in them, they joining CMI simply on account we are CAMS affiliated and hold the motorsport events they wish to compete in.

We are largely Southern Tassie based, though have tried to be State based over the years.  People from other regions in the State simply don't appear to be interested in belonging to a club such as ours.  There are a loosely based grouping of people out of Launceston (who call themselves ICE - Italian Car Enthusiasts, but they are not organised as a club nor compete).  They only have social activities and while affiliated with CMI, don't wish to join us to form one club.

So John while your comments are interesting, as previously mentioned I am not sure it is a realistic prospect. However, by all means I would be interested in learning about any such proposition for there are plenty of Alfa owners down here, and perhaps the logical proposal would be for CMI to become affiliated with AROCA.  I think in the past I had similar such discussions with both Victor Lee and Barry Edmunds re this, though nothing came of it. 

We currently have a magazine sharing excercise with the Fiat Club of Victoria and the Fiat/Lancia club of SA, and from memory may have even had a similar arrangement with AROCA (Vic).  By all means PM me or ph me on 0419 565 786 or e-mail me directly at osca1600@gmail.com

Finally Miss Alfa Sprint, I hope you are having a cool time down here as there are heaps of great Alfa driving roads down here, let alone Tassie is such a nice place to visit or live, as I am sure many would confirm.   I wonder what was the colour of the '70 Giulia Super you saw, not beige by any chance, since if so it is my brother in laws. He is not a car club person though does belong to the Ducati Motorcycle club (having a couple of classic Ducatis).  The only other Giulia Supers I know of on the road here is Norm Henry's yellow Targa car but that is a '66, Kim Briggs red one (i think '69/70) and a green '67, oh and early '65 TI.  Kim, Norm and the guy with the '67 all used to belong to CMI, and both Norm and Kim were previously members of AROCA here in Tassie (possibly are still members of AROCA ??).  Cheers Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Mike

I'm based in Tas, and a member of the Vic alfa club....so no need to wait...just sign up ;-)

cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

Davidm1600

Or alternatively Mike support the local Italian club. It doesn't mean you not supporting Alfisti, it is just that you actually get more value for your money than I am sorry belonging to AROCA, in Tassie.  Well that is how I see it anyway.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Mike

Dave I was refering to Scuzzy's desire to get a copy of the vic club mag...can't do that through CMI  ;)

I support the CMI events, regularly attending, in fact I normally increase the italian vehicle attendance somewhere around 50%!  (It's pretty much just myself and Graham in the Fiat 128!)  Maybe as President, you should also be attending track events...might convince people that CMI is serious about using their Italian vehicles.  I don't know how many Italian cars you have in the club anymore, but perhaps the club events should be significantly discounted for Italian vehicles to tempt them out to the track.

Don't get me wrong either, CMI hold exceptional track events, no question & hats off to the organisers but they are just 'car' events, not Italian car events.

As an Italian car enthusiast, I honestly see no point in joining CMI if it's not got a strong Italian vehicle backing, I see more Italian vehicles on any weekend at my shed as mates drop in than I do at a CMI event.  Sorry, thats just the way I feel...

AROCA have my vote for starting an Italian car club in Tas, I'm not convinced we have one.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Davidm1600

Mike, let me put it this way, for in many respects I don't disagree with what you say, but a couple of quick facts to set the record straight.

Firstly I have only just been voted president and I always take my Alfa 156 sportwagon to all events I attend both competition and social.  But lets face it I am hardly likely to compete in the sportwagon, it simply is too soft.

I don't actually have a car (be it an Alfa or Fiat etc) at the moment in which I could compete.  The 124 is still not completed, the GTV needs to be restored and the Super is under restoration, though currently stalled.  I can't afford to purchase another car, and the missus wouldn't let me anyway.  I am up to my eyeballs in the restoration of a historically significant house (out in the country) which swollows up pretty much all my spare time and all my $$.  Hence the restorations of the potentially 3 other Italian cars I do own in which I could compete can't proceed at this time.

For the record I used to compete regularly in my 2L Berlina but I sold that some years ago.

OK that is me, now next issue.  I am sorry but I don't actually recall ever seeing you attend or compete at either of our two major hillclimb events, namely the recently held Domain or Collinsvale events.  I understand you attended the Baskerville ones but these were events I couldn't due to other commitments.

Next actually you are wrong there are a range of CMI members with Italian cars, Fiats and Alfas who have and continue to compete, perhaps they werent at the events you went to.  However, to additionally complicate this at least 3-5 of CMI members who compete not just in our events but Targa as well have crashed their cars and are undertaking major repairs, hence numbers are down at this time.

Sure I agree I would love to see far more Italian cars turn up and compete.  We also always have an Italian car as the zero car, having included a Ferrari Dino, the V6 Alfetta sedan, 75, Alfasud sprint, 124 sport etc etc over the past events over many years. 

My point is it is so easy to criticise the club as not being sufficiently Italian flavoured but then actually not doing something about participating, including competing and helping out, thereby actually fixing the problem you criticise. You might be surprised by the number of members who help out and for the most part actually own Italian cars.  That too is the point in belonging to CMI.

Now unlike some, I actually think the real flavour of any car club is not just about competition events, but as well must include social events, runs in the country, cryptic car rallys, display days etc.  On that front I can well assure you that around 90-100% of the members who turn up all bring their Italian cars.  You are more than welcome to join in on the fun, if you cared.

So actually, we too see heaps of Italian cars at our events.  Besides which if I really need a total car fix with an Italian bent, all I have to do is go and visit my brother at Muggaland.

The concept you raise of a discount to try to increase participation in competition has some merit and is something I can put before the committee.

Funnily enough there has been quite a lot of discussion this week as to whether or not you were a CMI member, given your recent attendance at the Baskerville events.  Discussion had been held about the annual prizes to be given out in recognition of CMI members. Your Twin Charged Alfetta project being discussed as a project of significant merit for the Doug Goodwin trophy, but I guess given you are not a current member (you were in the past before you went to Melbourne) that this would exclude you.

I know Scott (Scuzzy) and I like him and knew his dad (a past CMI member) and had a lot of time for him.  Sure if Scott wishes to get the Cross and Serpent, he is more than welcome to join AROCA, but if that is all you get for your $60 membership fee or whatever is the current rate, then that in my mind is pretty ordinary value say as compared to what you would get if you joined CMI.  We too produce a high quality magazine. Mind you this issue is nothing to with me and totally up to Scott.

As for AROCA trying to set up a club here in Tassie well as far as I can see and I have been around for quite a while (and used to be a member of AROCA, one of the earliest members and saw it fall apart, despite my best attempts to keep it going), all I can say is good luck.  I can't see it actually working.

As I previously said far better that CMI be affiliated with AROCA, and this I think is something the committee wouldn't be opposed to and thereby in doing so, would not just assist in the ongoing survival of CMI, but as well the opportunity to grow and dispell the issues you raise in respect of the lack of Italian cars competing at such events. 

What say that such discussions should not be held with the AROCA committee along such lines ?  Dave

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Mike

I think what is coming out in my comments, is my frustration at not being able to go to a race track in Tassie and see the good 'ol Italian metal, and this may or may not have anything to do with CMI.  AROCA may also fail at achieving that. 

"My point is it is so easy to criticise the club as not being sufficiently Italian flavoured but then actually not doing something about participating, including competing and helping out, thereby actually fixing the problem you criticise. You might be surprised by the number of members who help out and for the most part actually own Italian cars.  That too is the point in belonging to CMI."

Given I have been the club editor and the club accounts person in the past, I think I can speak freely without implication of not helping out.  As for 'doing something', I'm working on something Tassie specific at the moment.  Not to mention the Twincharge is in this months AROCA with a 5 page feature, it was possible becuase I deliberately took thousands of photos over two years so that such an article could be written at the end of it to share with club members.  In addition, it will feature in zoom magazine in the near future, helping to get the Italian marks in front of a new generation.  We all do our little bit in our own way Dave, and my comments were not 'criticisms' of the club as much as observations.     

One thing I will say, your comments make it clear to me that there's still a spark in CMI yet. 

Feel free to discuss this further offline.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

John Hanslow

All of the above comments indicate that there is an active group of motoring enthusiast sharing a common interest. A few years ago I requested Victor Lee to put out a feeler or two as discussed above.  Was not aware of any other input but will follow up when next discussed. 

At the moment we are developing regional chapters.  This is effective and workable for us as it get the club members involved as due to distance issues, you could be left out.  It is designed for our state.

At the same time this was to compliment a proposed membership strategy of creating "Interstate Membership" at a reduced fee to cover basic magazine costs.  No voting rights would apply.  So it was a suggestion to get more people in the club who due to distance would never go to a club meeting or event as it was in another state but could be part of club with a magazine subscription.

With Tassie, it is an interesting exercise with many ideas and suggestions.  The exercise is not to create another state based club again, but to somehow capture the enthusiasm.  Lot of work to do but its a proposition for magazine for interest sake or membership for an interest group.

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Miss Alfa Sprint

Quote from: Davidm1750 on October 06, 2010, 11:44:35 AM

Finally Miss Alfa Sprint, I hope you are having a cool time down here as there are heaps of great Alfa driving roads down here, let alone Tassie is such a nice place to visit or live, as I am sure many would confirm.   I wonder what was the colour of the '70 Giulia Super you saw, not beige by any chance, since if so it is my brother in laws. He is not a car club person though does belong to the Ducati Motorcycle club (having a couple of classic Ducatis).  The only other Giulia Supers I know of on the road here is Norm Henry's yellow Targa car but that is a '66, Kim Briggs red one (i think '69/70) and a green '67, oh and early '65 TI.  Kim, Norm and the guy with the '67 all used to belong to CMI, and both Norm and Kim were previously members of AROCA here in Tassie (possibly are still members of AROCA ??).  Cheers Dave

Yes it was beige! His name is Stephen Boutchard, i couldn't help but introduce myself when i saw him get in the car, i hope i didn't scare him lol

I'm thinking of taking one of my Alfa over on the Spirit of Tassie over the summer, i drove my brothers 33 around North Hobart on Wednesday and really wanted to take it for a good drive up the mountain or something but it's my bros car so didn't want to risk anything... plus it's single carb and lacks power compared to my sprint :P

Miss Alfa Sprint
1979 Alfasud Sprint Veloce 1.5L (Blue)
1989 Alfa 33 1.7 IE (Red)

To see my amazing photography visit http://www.marisagangemi.com/

spoynter

Is your brother called James by any chance?  :)

Davidm1600

I was speaking with Stephen today at lunch time, and he said he was suprised but not worried in the slightest.  I suspect he enjoyed the attention the Giulia got.

For sure bring the Sprint over, you would definitely enjoy the many great roads over here.

Mike, I meant to get back to you and I agree best we have such interesting discussions off line.  The other thing you might like to do is check out the ICE page on Facebook, assuming that perhaps you are on line there.  Perhaps they also have a website ??  For they too (though mostly based up north) are really passionate about their Italian cars.  Cheers Dave

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina