Couple of little mods.

Started by Typhoon90, September 19, 2010, 12:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon90

So, I was pumping the brakes yesterday, bleeding them. I bleed the old fashioned way, with an old tin, a piece of hose with a one way valve on it.
Anyway, I was keeping an eye on the master cylinder reservoir and as I pumped noticed a staggering amount of upward movement, probably an inch of upward movement at the end of the cylinder!
I'd heard about the RHD issue of not being able to get "nice"feeling brakes under load, and this just would not do!
I removed the washer bottle and had a look, then decided a solution could be made. Got a nice piece of 1" bar stock, bent the ends, drilled a couple of holes and done!

As you can see, it fits in very nicely and doesn't interfere with anything, not even that giant washer bottle.

Nice big hardened washer to spread the load, this was an existing hole in the shock tower I enlarged.

The other thing that's been annoying me is the air filter disappearing into the lower air filter box, nothing to stop it sagging.
So, found a couple of pieces of square bar, lopped them to size with the grinder, zapped them into place with the Mig and job's done. Now I have an air filter that seals all the way round, and the lid is nice and firmly held in place as the spring clips actually have rubber all the way round to compress.

Regards, Andrew.

Sheldon McIntosh

That's a very elegant solution, well done!  I imagine the pedal feel is a lot better, and can't see any drawbacks to that design.  Make up about 50 and sell them to all the 90/75 owners at Spettacolo!! ;D

Typhoon90

I couldn't charge money for them, if you can fog a mirror and use a power drill, vise and multigrips, you can make your own in about 30 mins!
When I was into Valiants, they all had a small strut from the top of the shock tower to the brake master cylinder, or were supposed to.
I can't comment on brake feel when driving, but there is now about 1" of pedal travel when really standing on it in the garage.

Regards, Andrew.

Rocco166

thanks for the heads up on that issue Andrew,

I will have to check my 90 out once I get it back from the "trusted" Alfa mechanic here in Perth..your solution looks fine and if it helps improve driveability then it has to be a good thing...

cheers
Johnathon
2008 Fiat Punto Sport
2002 AR 166 Ti
1985 AR 90 Gold Cloverleaf
1985 Fiat Argenta

previously
1982 Alfa Guilietta
2001 Alfa 156 Monza