New 159ti - Audio Upgrades ??

Started by Mr_Clean, September 18, 2010, 07:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Clean

Ciao all, just got my 3rd Alfa today and want to upgrade the audio system. Alfa dont offer the Bose system, so wanted to upgrade to something as good as the Bose (maybe). Can anyone recommend anything ? cheers

shiny_car

Depends on your budget.

For aftermarket gear, including new 2-DIN headunit, front 2-way 6.5" component speakers, amplifier, sub, and installation, budget at least $2000. For something 'very good', around $3500 is ideal.

OK, most people wouldn't dream of spending that much (there are few nutters like myself). So, start with a budget.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Mr_Clean

Hi, thanks for the tip. Any brands you favour ? I am in Victoria, cheers

dehne

where abouts in vic, eclipse units are unreal and are well priced have been using them in my alfas for 7 years both 90 and 156 they have good sound capabilities and offer good bonus's tp ie bluetooth,ipod addaptor ect and there security features out pass anyother brands on the market
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

shiny_car

headunits: Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse, Nakamichi, Denon
speakers: Dynaudio, Crescendo, Focal, Boston Acoustics, Hertz, Morel, Audison, Sinfoni
amplifiers: Audison, Hertz, JL Audio, Focal, Boston Acoustics, Sinfoni, Tru Technology
subwoofers: Morel, JL Audio, Image Dynamics, Focal, Boston Acoustics, Crescendo, Dynaudio
sound deadener: Dynamat Xtreme, Stinger Expert
batteries: Optima, Odyssey
wiring/terminals/etc: Stinger

retailers: Phatt Audio Concepts, Frankston Car Audio, Stylyn Car Audio, Freeway Car Audio, GL Pro Sound

wankski

not that most car installs are a high end audiophile experience, but IMHO certain manufacturers like all things audio have a certain 'house sound'...

for me, i would stick to manufacturer... not saying that u can't mix and match, indeed you may want to do that to 'balance' signatures, but for my taste, i found ALPINE heads and shoulders above the likes of sony and pioneer that seem to market to 19yo with the heavy skew to the 'doof'... flat boomy doof at that...

In my current car i have just only alpine throughout, and i'm very happy with that. In certain tracks the clarity for a car install is just great for not much money... i probably paid around $700 (new).. its enough money to spend such that you can be forgiven for thinking there is an actual drum set going off in your back seat, the symbol and kicker reproduction is pretty damn good.

but then i'm a bit of a nut when it comes to audio, so maybe ignore me.... I have high end beyerdynamic headphones for home and i've constructed a 3 channel active ground headphone amp for it sporting 3x BB OPA627 opamps...   ::)

Mr_Clean

Hey guys thanks for the tips - appreciate it. I am in Brighton, Melbourne BTW. Thinking I might keep the head unit and update the amp (?) and speakers. Any thoughts on this ? The head unit comes with iPod intergration (via a small adapter the dealer is providing).....

wankski

the standard non-bose does not have a dedicated external amp, the power amplification is provided by the head unit itself. A quality aftermarket HU will put out b/w 17-19w RMS which is sufficient for most types of 4-6" round speakers... depending on specification... (sensitivity - and impedence, most car audio will be 4 ohms resistance)

if you are set on having a ddedicated sub, then an external amp is a good idea since u are generally wanting to create a 5th cannel.  a 5 channel amp with dedicated sub channel is a good idea, such as the alpine V12 range...

amping is not essential though. as with everything custom, depends on how far you want to go.

Mr_Clean

Ok  - understand. Any speaker / sub favorites  / combinations ?? cheers again, :)

wankski

what is your main objective in upgrading? if you want better sound the stock h/u has to go... at least on the 156 they are not great quality... i guess they'd be much the same on the 159.

No amp can improve the signal from the source... so garbage in = mega garbage out... if you want max compatibility i suggest the excellent alpine CDE-114BTi or higher spec... it has usb, aux and bluetooth... if you have a compatible phone w/ your collection on it u can just sit down and the system will play... pretty great... best method is probably high bit rate MP3 on a usb stick tho if not original CD.

then from there, if you just want quality alpine signature, grab some type-s splits for the front and some co-ax's for the rear... done.. that's about 400 on speakers and 400 on head unit...

if you want a dedicated sub, and u want to notch it up some, i suggest the modern v12 equivalent - the pdx-5, which will supply a rated 4x 90w rms and a mono 300w to the sub... dunno about these days, but past v12 amps were always under-rated.. with that kinda power, i would up-rate the speakers to type Rs, or the top end SPX range... to give you an idea, the type r splits up front and co-ax rears will set u back almost $600, plus > $800 for the amp... for subs, a 10" type r will set u back more than $300, a type s around $180...

if you go the higher end option, u'd probably want a better h/u like the 117 @ $500, or to complete the full 159 look, a double din, that gets expensive... as in starting from about $1100 to $1800...

so there are your options...

1) 114 + type s speakers = $800
2) 117 + pdx 5 ch amp + type R speakers = $2250
3) awesome touch screen dbl din w407 h/u + pdx amp + above speakers = $3000

just to give you an idea...

edit: that's not final prices btw... that does not include labour, enclosures, wiring or in the case of option 1 or 2, single din conversion trays (not that expensive) and the applicable harnesses (about $100 or more if shipped from UK)... if you do the work yourself, obviously option 1 would be closer to final price and easiest to install...

Mr_Clean

hi wankski, thanks for all the info. I will look into all this, cheers

shiny_car

Quote from: Mr_Clean on September 20, 2010, 07:12:43 PM
Ok  - understand. Any speaker / sub favorites  / combinations ?? cheers again, :)

In one of my cars, I have a Morel Ultimo12. Awesome sounding sub that is accurate and plays low and loud if required. Around $1000. It's run by a Sinfoni (Italy) 100.2spx amp; top quality. Around $2500.

My favourite combo so far.

/smartarse. Seriously, I am into audiophile car audio, but most people are not. It's REALLY hard to help you when you provide no budget. I also listed the main brands that I would consider and recommend; I was very specific about it, because I do not believe that most other brands are as good. I purposely have not been specific about exact models of amplifier, sub, etc, etc, becaues there is no BUDGET.......except for the above combo which I highly recommend. :D

Perhaps go and see the guys at Stylyn (Bentleigh; I presume Trav still works there) and Phatt Audio Concepts (Braeside; Sam and Brett). Both are good quality stores, and PAC are one of Australia's premier outfits, and have produces most of the top demo vehicles in this country.

wankski

wow, $3500 on a sinle sub...  ???

and my eyes were watering over $3k that I consider to be a high end all ALPINE install including a sweet double din touch screen Head Unit that can handle reverse camera and sat nav...

sheesh...

shiny_car

That's the value of the sub and the amp. :P Fortunately, I didn't have to pay that much.

I expect most peoples' eyes to water at the thought of spending over $1000 on car audio, let alone a few thou, let alone tens of thou. But the point being, car audio does cater for all markets, so without the right info, advising someone on what gear to purchase is like extracting teeth. :D