Lights Failure Warning

Started by amanda, January 27, 2007, 02:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amanda

The Lights Failure light always lights up when I start up the engine, (sometimes it flashes) but if I turn on the head lights, or press the brake paddle, the warning light goes off, I have inspected every single bulb, all work very well, anybody can tell me what the problem is?
Cheers!

Evan Bottcher

Hi Amanda,

Could you let us know the model of Alfa that you are having the problem with?

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

amanda

It is 2002 156 sports wagon, T-Spark Engen. I had replaced a faulty conector, but the problem is still there, and I found that if I drive the car for a longer time, like 20 or 30 minutes, the warning light will go off, and everything seems good. Maybe the problem is the computer? or brake sensor? But I dont understand why the warning goes off every time I turn on the head lights. 

ayem

The 156 Light Failure Warning is provided by a number of integrated circuits at the back of, I think, the tachometer. Each of the ICs controls 2 of the lights that are monitored. If any of these ICs develop a fault, the warning signal can be generated spontaneously and can go out when the lights are activated.

I had such a case and it was important to fix it because the IC fault caused one of the tail lights to remain on continuously, at very low intensity -and flatten the battery if the car wasn't driven for a couple of days! In my case I solved the problem by jumpering the offending tail light control over to the non faulty tail light control circuit  -not a strategy that I would recommend to someone who doesn't know their way around microcircuits.

The tachometer is easily removed with a couple of screws and I would suggest you try a repalcement / changeover unit