Centre Bearing (Driveshaft)

Started by Sheldon McIntosh, September 09, 2010, 10:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

Are the centre support bearings interchangeable between 6 and 4 cylinder cars does anyone know?

I disassembled the 6 cylinder shaft with no problems, and I have the front section of another shaft here with a good bearing, but I don't know what it's from.  I've undone the locknut, but it won't go past the spherical seat.  It has a 30mm nut rather than the 6Cs 32mm, so presumably it's off an Alfetta?  So basically, before I go to any more effort to get the bearing off, will the bearing also be a smaller diameter?

Thanks

alfagtv152

Hi Sheldon,
I have no experience with 6cyl shafts and the 30mm nut does soundlike 4cyl,Maybe you could do some comparative measurements if you have both there but if you want to get the spherical bush off you should be able to find a split in it and very carefully spread it enough to get it off.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: alfagtv152 on September 09, 2010, 10:27:33 PM
if you want to get the spherical bush off you should be able to find a split in it and very carefully spread it enough to get it off.

Ahh, okay, cheers for that, will give it a go.  Better get the degreaser....

Sheldon McIntosh

Bugger it, my 30mm socket won't quite reach the second nut, will have to get a deeper one tomorrow.

Sheldon McIntosh

For anyones future reference, they're incompatible.  Inner diameter seems to be 5mm larger on the 6C, and about 3 mm larger outer diameter. 

Sheldon McIntosh

Uhh, thanks Chode, timely fucken advice as always.  The 4C version was too small, so I found and fitted an un-fucked 6C one from Hugh.  I fitted it before Sandown, you know, the track day where you went past me on the track a couple of weeks ago?  So yes, I have put it all back together.  And the un-fucked one doesn't seem fucked. 

MD

Sheldon it seems to me that you have swapped a duck for a fuck, a fuck for a duck and you're still stuck with the fucken duck.. :) :)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Sheldon McIntosh

Are you calling the 90 a fucken duck? 

In better news, my exhaust system is fucked....

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on October 01, 2010, 06:31:54 PM
Are you calling the 90 a fucken duck? 

In better news, my exhaust system is fucked....

Twin sidepipes? ;D

MD

Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0