all alfa techhead help me out

Started by imajin14, September 09, 2010, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imajin14

ok so im a apprentice mechanic going onto a 3rd year...and looking to get a car, im a jap import lover but for some reason starting to lean over towards the european cars (alfa romeo 75), like every car ive owned were corolla's with 4age, pulsar sss sr20de, civic b16a dohc vtec but im really wanting to get a alfa romeo 75 v6 3.0 12 v and need some guidance and why because i want to be diffrent and unique out of everyone else..and plus mates dont even know wat a alfa romeo is for goodness sakes and another reason is they diss me for wanting an alfa, but i wanna prove them wrong and leave them behind

1. i wanna comparison of wat these car can do on a straight, stock im talking you know a healthy alfa 75  stock standard, wat sort of car can they can put up a good fight with on the straight

2. what performance upgrades would make them go better prefer N/A upgrades (cant turbo or supercharge p plate laws -_-)....exhaust size and set up (straight pipe?), intake set up, and a tune and maybe strip some parts to lighten the car up abit..

3. who tunes these cars around brisbane =S?

4. either way if they cant keep up with an integra im still going to buy one cause im starting to watch youtube clips of them and they sound tough for a v6 and they can get up there reasonably quick....but lets say with a small budget exhaust, intake then a tune would these cars be deadly on a straight

cheers hopefully someone with knowledge can help me out

Jekyll and Hyde

Alfas are not drag cars.  Well, you can use them for one, but it would be cheaper to just buy a toddlers trike.  Equally deadly on a straight.  You'll probably do just as well, and spend a lot less repairing it.

I doubt that as an apprentice you have enough money to make it powerful enough and reliable enough to beat your mates in a drag race.

You could just convince all your mates to get on a nice twisty racetrack, and beat them there.  Thats what Alfas are meant for, and that's where it can potentially outperform the others.

Duk

Quote from: imajin14 on September 09, 2010, 07:21:35 PM
ok so im a apprentice mechanic going onto a 3rd year...and looking to get a car, im a jap import lover but for some reason starting to lean over towards the european cars (alfa romeo 75), like every car ive owned were corolla's with 4age, pulsar sss sr20de, civic b16a dohc vtec but im really wanting to get a alfa romeo 75 v6 3.0 12 v and need some guidance and why because i want to be diffrent and unique out of everyone else..and plus mates dont even know wat a alfa romeo is for goodness sakes and another reason is they diss me for wanting an alfa, but i wanna prove them wrong and leave them behind
Good on ya for having the nuts to do something different  ;D. A few words of warning are in order, tho. I went from Italian (2 FIATS and an Alfa) to Japanese (AW11 MR2 and an S13 Silvia) and bought another Alfa (75 Potenziata) and there are plenty of times where the Alfa will piss you off when you have to work on it. It seams that everything under the bonnet is an after thought. Where Japanese engine bays have everything well integrated with each other, the Alfa is "Right, lets jam a wide headed V6 in there! Now lets add some air conditioning! Mmmmmmmm now some power steering! Oh shit, we have to add hoses and wiring too......"

Quote from: imajin14 on September 09, 2010, 07:21:35 PM1. i wanna comparison of wat these car can do on a straight, stock im talking you know a healthy alfa 75  stock standard, wat sort of car can they can put up a good fight with on the straight
As mentioned, these aren't good drag cars! Their syncro's wear badly and their tailshafts wind up their 3 rubber couplings and make weird noises.
They aren't slow, but they aren't real quick either.

Quote from: imajin14 on September 09, 2010, 07:21:35 PM2. what performance upgrades would make them go better prefer N/A upgrades (cant turbo or supercharge p plate laws -_-)....exhaust size and set up (straight pipe?), intake set up, and a tune and maybe strip some parts to lighten the car up abit..
Most of the heads have really pore quality ports in them. But any porting needs to be done right, not just made big! The inlet runners on my car were also a poor match to the ports.
Camshaft upgrades are apparently very effective, and I've read about some good successes in the states.
Pre- 1990 models used the old analog Bosch L-Jetronic system, 1990 onwards they used the Motronic 4.1, but they suck nearly as much as the Jetronic. These really need to go in the bin and be replaced with a decent aftermarket system that also does ignition timing as well. All V6's use a small vane/flap air flow meter.
Extractors are few and far between. Those that are available cost an arm and a leg compared to common cars.
The V6's used low speed impact absorbing bumper bars. These are quite heavy and can be replaced with the bars from the 4 cylinder 'Twin Spark (TS)'.

Quote from: imajin14 on September 09, 2010, 07:21:35 PM4. either way if they cant keep up with an integra im still going to buy one cause im starting to watch youtube clips of them and they sound tough for a v6 and they can get up there reasonably quick....but lets say with a small budget exhaust, intake then a tune would these cars be deadly on a straight
Don't waste your time with pod filters. The factory filter element is huge and I doubt very mach that there'd be much if any pressure drop across it. The standard AFM will be more of a hindrance than the filter element and filter box.
I made a new secondary pipe for my car (standard manifolds) that was 2 pipes, 2" in diameter to to a collector and into the cat. It had some 2.5" exhaust (central muffler no resonator) on it and after the new secondary pipe it felt like it had a bit better mid-range, but that's hardly accurate.
And no other V6 can compare for musical note  8) Many say that the 2.5 litre sounds better than the 3 litre, but I'm not convinced (but then I'm biased  ;)) It make me shudder how many people have put noisy exhausts on V6 'Toiletdoors' and gave V6 engines a bad name for sound (I mean FFS people, they are a 90* V6, it just doesn't work!!!)