GTV6 Distributor Dismantling

Started by Fylnn, September 01, 2010, 09:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fylnn

I am trying to dismantle the distributor on my '83 GTV6.  It has a Haltech on it now and if I lock the distributor in place the advance can be controlled by the computer.  I want to do this before I get it finally dynoed.

I have it down to the point where the whole internals wants to lift out on the main shaft that goes down to the drive cog.  What I am unsure of is how to remove the lugs assembly off the bottom of the main shaft?  By that I mean remove the collar with the 2 lugs on it that drives the shaft up through the centre of the distributor.  It looks like it is held in place with a pin of some description.  it is not a roll pin but looks to be solid.  I almost looks like a grub screw except it has not hex I can see.  I have given it a few taps to see if it moves and it hasn't so far. 

So before I get right into this pin with a bigger hammer, has anyone done it before, and is there a trick other than a bigger hammer?

martym00se72

'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

aggie57

As you suspect it is a simple pin. No threads or such like. It's probably just lightly seized and needs some convincing or some sort of loosening agent.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Fylnn

Thanks for the assistance, I will try to get a photo and apply some WD40 before mounting a more convincing argument for it to come out.

Fylnn

how do you imbed a photo on these forums.  Never made it stick.

Fylnn

here is a photo of the drive dog.  Trying to get the pin out of the centre.  It is not hollow so not a roll pin.

bt46

The pin is an interferrance fit. Secure well in a vice using soft jaws as to not damage anything. Use a suitable pin punch. A few blows will drive it out. Note the off set of the teeth.

Fylnn

Suitable persuasion it is then, thanks for all the information.  I am glad verious people pointed out that it is offset, I had not noticed but will now look for it.