Alfa 156 Gearbox and Electrics

Started by wdv, August 24, 2010, 09:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdv

i have a 156 Monza 2001 that is occasionally refuses to start (not even turn over).  this is generally associated with a random flashing of the transmission warning light when driving and then after parking the car.  the Selespeed does not in itself give any problems although when the warning light flashes the gearbox goes into its caretaker mode.  it appears to me to be some sort of electrical issue perhaps even associated with the "bulb out" warning light which flashes a lot although i have no bulbs out.

it is interesting that the transmission warning light is often triggered by any large bump in the road, further suggesting an electrical connection (in my capacity as a town planner rather than any electrical wizard).

i am located in Hervey Bay and i am somewhat remote from expert help with this issue and when i take it to my mechanic i cannot replicate the problem.  has anyone experienced these sorts of issues or can someone suggest what the problem may be?

Craig C

Starting with the simple things first, how old / healthy is your battery?
2003 Spider
1984 GTV 2.0

dehne

it is the pump, when the pump fails i will not let you start the car at all. a way to check it is when you unlock the car and open the door it should start the pump you will hear a whirly sound easyier to do with 2 ppl, they other thing is at the front of the batt there are some relays if you give them a clean and put them back in it may fix it, any probs give me a call on 0418711643 and i will talk you through it
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

wdv

i have had the battery checked and it is very good.  i will look at the relays as the pump for the gearbox works well and always activates when i open the driver's door.