What to do with a '86 GTV6, Advice Please.

Started by deadeye263, August 23, 2010, 08:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadeye263

Howdy all,

A few years ago (two i think) my brother in law gave me his old '86 GTV6 as he couldn't be bothered trying to sell it and knowing i was a 'car guy' thought i could do something with it. Since then it has sat out the front of my place with me alternating between thinking it was a lost cause and what the hell i'll strip, patch and restore it. But now the sheen has worn off and i realise i don't have the time for it. (Also the rust it has is probably terminal).

The interior is in excellent nic, and she still starts first turn !
It's only mechanical issue is i broke the centre driveshaft mount 'donut' thing when i last drove it up and down the street. (Like an idiot, but it was fun  ;))
All glass is perfect, bonnet and boot is perfect.
Shell is severly rusted.
Doors have a little rust.

From the pictures below can anyone suggest the best course of action?

My options as i see them are:

1) Attempt to strip it, repair the rust, and restore it. (Unlikely even possible)
2) Sell it as is to an alfashop / wrecker.
3) Sell it as is to a club member / advertise it on carsales etc.
4) Start parting it out myself, likely to club members via the for sale section.

Also, what it's likely worth ($$) at present?

Thanks all.

alanm

I love these cars, its sad to see one looking so terminal.

I reckon an unroadworthy but sound GTV6 is worth about $5K, a roadworthy and tidy car about 8k, and a nice one with good service history about 10K.
Really good examples are worth say, 13K - ?K.

Starting with that logic I would say the car in the pictures was worth about $2-3K (My heart says 3K my head says 2)

I have no idea what it would cost to repair the rust in the body but thinking it would take a lot of time, and them it would need a complete respray - not cheap!

As for parting it, as much as I would hate to see one of these cars destroyed, there is merit in that idea.
The headlights (especially outers), grille, interior trim, steering wheel, and driveline could generate some cash... but consume quite a bit of time?

Maybe there is someone out there who is handy with a welder who would take it on. Club sprint car maybe?

Alan
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

deadeye263

That was my initial plan.
Strip it and teach myself some metal work to repair the rust and respray it myself. (I can at least spraypaint). That would keep the costs way down. The problem is i'm short on the other two things needed. Time and space to perform the work. I think i might start stripping it down and investigate the rust. If deemed terminal then the parts will already be off the car and easy to sell.

Typhoon90

That is some serious structural rust there in the engine bay, I would look the car over CLOSELY around the firewall and under the car at the sills before thinking about a restoration. Even the rear of the car needs the beaver panel welded to the boot floor, it is also structural, as is the rust on the C pillars.
Even the "cosmetic" welding repairs you'll be doing will be pretty involved, I personally would baulk at this car and I know enough to get myself out of trouble most times.
Personally, if you really want a GTV, I would suggest finding  a great body shell and transplanting the gear over.

Regards, Andrew.