Original 1.8 L Alfetta GT Stereo

Started by Dna Dave, July 31, 2010, 08:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dna Dave

Hi,

I am restoring my 1976 Alfetta GT, and was woundering what stereo (if any) they came out with, and if anyone has one for sale.

Thanks

David
1980 Alfa gtv racecar, 2.0L twinspark turbo
1991 Alfa 75 Potenziata
2009 Alfa Mito VRA Racecar
1974 Alfetta sedan
2003 Mitsubishi Evo3 RS
2008 Alfa GT 3.2L
2007 Mazerati MC Victory

Past,

Not that many 😜

stradale

There was a metal plate in leiu of a stereo
so you could choose !!!!! no specific brand was offered in 1976
As opposed to modern cars, now they have a inbuilt dedicated system, with no options in many cases

alfagtv152

Hi David,
I have seen some sales brochures for sale on Ebay but I would reckon it would be a radio cassette,my 1979 GTV had a Pioneer unit which I think is fairly common.I can't remember whether my 1975 GT had the radio in it when I first got it but I don't think so.If I can find anything I will post it.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

Neil Choi

Hi David

I concur with Andrew on the stereo of a 1976 Alfetta GT as being a Pioneer one, I was just working on the car today and noticed it.  I will try to take a picture of it (but wouldn't get to it until next Saturday as I don't get home until dark during the week, sorry for the delay).

My GT is original, one owner for 33 years prior to my possession last year, so from I can gather, the car is very original.

Neil

Ooops, I should add that I am not totally sure of the originality of the radio, other than it is a Pioneer unit in my GT.

stradale

Hi all

I Have a sales brochure for a GTV 2000L

stradale

MY alfa75 had a pioneer cassette player with the ALFA logo on the cassette door
I not sure if ALFA Australia post fitted any one brand of stereo players into the early GTV's or if dealers fitted any brand that was locally available

Dna Dave

Thanks all,

I realize that they came with the blanking plate, but wasn't sure if the dealers fitted stereo's here (maybe as an option). I was planning on putting a stereo in it, thought it would be good to try and get one that was offered back then. Maybe the other option is to put the blanking plate and then hide a modern stereo (I did that in my 1750 round tail spider and worked well while looking original).

Thanks for all your interest. :)

Dave
1991 Alfa 75 Potenziata
1974 Alfetta sedan
2003 Mitsubishi Evo3 RS
2008 Alfa GT 3.2L
2007 Mazerati MC Victory

Past,

Not that many 😜

aggie57

Dave - as Sportiva said they came with a blanking plate.  I have seen both plastic and metal.  What was installed differed from market to market and even dealer to dealer.  What you got if the car was delivered in NSW could be different from if it was delivered in Victoria, and even if you bought the car from Henly's or one of the other dealers of the day.

The "official" options were not mandatory and the buyer could essentially choose whatever they wanted, and often did.  So essentially so long as you stick to something of the period you'll be authentic and no-one could genuinely argue with you.

Alister
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

kartone

my 1980 GTV has the original EUROVOX radio/cassette player and speakers
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

stradale

aggie57

As late as the mid-eighties GTV6's, 90's and 75's were shipped ex factory without stereo's.  They were fitted locally.  Check out any of the factory brochures.

I also checked a UK accessory catalogue I have from 1981 and it shows a range of radio and radio cassette units available.  Blaupunkt and Pioneer, none with Alfa Romeo on them.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Dna Dave

Thanks for all the replies guys,

What i might do is put the blanking plate and hide a modern type stereo,

OR

Do i get a stereo out of a 90 with the logo on it? ???

Dave
1991 Alfa 75 Potenziata
1974 Alfetta sedan
2003 Mitsubishi Evo3 RS
2008 Alfa GT 3.2L
2007 Mazerati MC Victory

Past,

Not that many 😜

Sheldon McIntosh

Depends what you want to listen to.  I'd hide a modern one with an aux in, so you can easily plug in a mediaplayer.

kartone

restored the original EUROVOX unit in the dash, but added a modern head unit with MP3 player in the trunk with coaxial speakers hidden by original EUROVOX covers
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV