Alfa Mito 120kw or 150kw?

Started by Joshhakman, June 16, 2010, 05:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshhakman

Hi all,

I am considering my first Alfa Romeo purchase and recently test drove both models of the above. I noticed that the 120kw had more kilometres on the clock then the Sport version. The 120kw model was great and drove very smoothly and powerfully, but the 150kw not so.

The sport model didn't seem to have the 25% more kick you'd expect from it - My question is if you have either one of the above models, what feedback do you have, and does the sport perform as you would expect after the engine has been worn in?

Thanks ahead of time for your advice and feedback.

Cheers,
Josh.
Josh Hakman.

Brad M

Josh, moved your topic to hopefully get some useful resposes. Regards, Brad
BTW: Welcome.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Joshhakman

Thanks Brad, probably wasn't in the best category to begin with.

Regards,

Josh.
Josh Hakman.

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi Josh,
Unfortunately, I have not driven either.  Perhaps you could try another sport from another dealer to see if the one you tried was under-performing.  You would assume 150kw to be better.
Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

Joshhakman

Thanks Marco,

Good idea, I will arrange to do that very soon.

Regards,
Josh.
Josh Hakman.

Neil Choi

Not being particular or anything.

The MiTo is either 88 kW (120 bhp) or 114 kW (155 bhp).

I would be impressed if it was 150 kW from a 1.4L turbo.

How heavy does a MiTo weigh?

Neil

PS I haven't driven neither.

Joshhakman

You are correct Neil, it is HP not kW, my mistake.
Josh Hakman.

Sheldon McIntosh

I briefly drove a Sport and thought it was excellent, and the engine performance was certainly a highlight, it felt like a big engine in a small car, there's a write-up of my impressions here if you're interested...  http://www.alfabb.com/?p=167

Did you put the DNA system into Dynamic mode, as that gives you more torque through the mid range?

Joshhakman

Sheldon - Thanks for the link to the article which I have just read and yes, I did drive and select all of the DNS settings to compare the handling effects.
Josh Hakman.

pep105

Hi Josh,
What was the difference in km between the two Mito's? Was it a decent amount ? I get a new car for work every 8 - 10 months (believe me its not as exciting as it sounds as they're Toyotas  :'( ) and find a noticeable difference in responsiveness once the cars covered at least 5000 - 10000 kays. Depends on the car of course as it does vary.

As others have said sample a few more from other dealers maybe with similar km, or maybe you dont need the Mito Sport ? save yourself a few grand, buy the base one and a decent GTV6 with the money left over or a driveable 105 :)

Kerb weight = 1165 kg

And by the way to convert from HP to Kw x 0.7457 and from Kahunnas back to horses divide by 0.7457

Cheers
Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Joshhakman

Hi Pep,

Thanks for your reply. I think that might have some relevance what you've raised, which I also thought when checking the odometer on the sport - it was relatively low compared to the base model. I'm sure after in the first few to ten thousand as you suggest as you've experienced with other cars responsiveness improves. 

Thanks also for the mathematical conversions and Kerb weight.

Cheers,

Josh.

Josh Hakman.

GregSale

For my 2 cents, I had a 1.4 Turbo for a day 2 weeks ago while the Spider had a fault with the electric windows fixed (out of w/tee but Alfa still covered it by the way)
The 1.4 Turbo went like a cut cat (for a 1.4 Turbo !) - I loved the thing except the stupid arm rest which, when down, means you cant change gears (so you fold it up - I get it)
Drive another one - my loaner had about 1800km on the clock
2007 Spider Black

101phil

same story as above 159 was in at the shop getting a whirling noise sorted out. See other thread about that.

Anyways I was very impressed with the little bugger, its an incredible sleeper..  Got off the lights very quickly, much to the surprise of some much bigger engined cars.. Handled well, cant comment directly on the sport, though I would definatly suggest getting a drive of another one....
Black 159 2.2 - Our first Alfa and loving it.

Feel free to check out our emerging technology blog: http://www.101webtech.com/web_news