159 Sedan or Sportwagon

Started by Project Alfa, June 14, 2010, 12:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Project Alfa

Hi All,

I am looking to buy my first Alfa 27 years after doing a grade 5 project on the company.  I would appreciate peoples views on whether the 159 sedan is a noticeably better drive than the 159 Sportwagon?

The question originates from a remark that wagons do not handle as well as sedans.   

Also I noticed that the wagon weighs an additional 49 kg (3.3%).  The official 0-100 data varies from 8.8 to 9.0 (2.3%).  These do not appear to be large percentages but I am interested to know if others believe it to make a material difference to the drivability / enjoyment of the car.

The additional space, 10%, would be handy but not at the cost of driving enjoyment.  Thank you for your attention to this post.

Regards

Project Alfa

STRADALE

Hello Project Alfa

you will only notice a difference if you drive at 99% all the time
around town or a highway trip you wont notice its a wagon
at eastern creek or philip island you might notice the extra 3.3% weight
the wagons 100% better if you need more luggage space or have a dog
honestly mate if you need the extra space by a wagon
If you want to go fast buy the 3.2 v6 sedan or a 3Ltr subaru the [Alfa looks good the Subaru's faster]

Glen

Davidm1600

I can't really comment with any authority on the 159 having only driven a sedan (auto, Turbo diesel) the once and then not for far, but I can say from my experience with my JTS 156 sportwagon, that the additional space is excellent, and with the seats folded down, there is heaps of space.  The 159 wagon in that respect should be even better. 

As far as the handling is concerned I agree that around town you are unlikely to notice any real difference, but yes on the track you would, but then again I am not really sure that either the 156 or 159 in sedan or wagon in standard form is the car to use for such purposes.

We use the wagon to go on surfin safari/camping, to go to the ski-fields and on the long journey it is excellent.  Similarly, given we are rennovating, again the extra space is highly useful. 

Perhaps the real question you need to ask yourself is what do you really need and from there then you will have your answer as to which model 159 to buy. 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi Project Alfa,
I own a sedan and its load it's not bad for carrying stuff due to its split fold seats.  However, the boot opening is quite small.
At least the wagon is one of the nicest you will see on the roads.
Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

NigelC

I think it's a bit like comparing apples with oranges, the 3.2l Wagon will outperform and outhandle the 2.2l sedan so buy what you can afford.  The extra storage space appears to be minimal and I agree with the earlier post that says the boot opening is a little small but the space is very useable particularly with the folding seats.  I have been more than happy with my 2006 2.2l sedan, although it is currently for sale, as I've bought an Audi allroad as a tow car for my Group S GTV.
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

Project Alfa

Thanks Guys for all of the responses.  It does help in making a call.

I am targeting in on the 2.2 JTS series 1 due to budget and rev flexibility of the engine.  Despite the advice, I am leaning toward the sedan having read a review that noted that the 45 kg drop from series 1 to 2 made a difference in to the 2.2 JTS.

Thanks again guys.

Regards

Project Alfa

Project Alfa

Further to all the advice, I purchased a 2006 159 Sportswagon on the weekend.  A 2.2 JTS manual with red exterior & tan seats.  I am very pleased with the whole package. 

An aside to the purchase, was that I bought it interstate.  Living in Melbourne I noticed that Sydney used cars are much cheaper.  So I spotted one, negotiated a good price, had it checked out by an Alfa dealer, then flew up & drove it home.  It was well worth the effort as I was able to buy the car I wanted within my budget. 

Regards

Project Alfa

shiny_car

Congrats. Sounds nice. Enjoy.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Footscrazy

I've noticed that too. What dealer checked it out for you. Does anyone recommend anyone in particular in nsw to check these things out?
147 twin spark 2001

Project Alfa

I had my car checked out by Thomson Alfa in Paramatta.  Mario from the service department was great.  I cchose this dealership as the car I was purchasing was located over the road literally.  I dare say any Alfa dealer would be fine.  Realistically the one closerest to the seller.

There are not many extra charges.  In my case a 1 way flight ($129 of Fly By points), fuel one way ($80), Victorian road worthy ($126) & Vic Roads plates ($30).  I did score some free qaccomodation in Canberra to help with the trip.

Regards

Project Alfa