Choke not working ??

Started by shane wescott, June 08, 2010, 07:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane wescott

Hi Guys

Obviously the GTV6 overheard me talking about working on the 75 at the weekend and felt unloved.

This morning it wouldnt start and it was as if the choke wasnt working. It would turn over fine and kick, but as soon as you touch the gas it died.

Normally as soon as you turn the key and it spins it kicks off on a high idle and all is well.

I am assuming the choke/cold start is all controlled by the computer, but is there anything else i should be checking/cleaning/wiggling.

Thanks Guys
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Al Campbell

Shane,

To my mind the choke is the AAV and just makes poor running when cold needing plenty of pedal to keep it going. Starts then dies is probably something else.

There is a switch on the throttle that detects "fully closed" – inputs to the ECU. You should here a faint click as you move the throttle arm just off the stop. Check the connector and you could also check continuity if you have an ohm meter. From memory I think the middle pin is common and you should get a short to one of the outside pins when the throttle is close which goes open circuit when you move the throttle. The other pin has the opposite behaviour. Check all you engine grounds too, but especially the plenum to valve cover strap on the passenger side near the brake booster.

Is the fuel pump running with the AFM propped open or the ignition in run position? Might be the Cold start injector is giving you enough fuel to start but the pumps not coming to the party. Let it run for a while without touching the pedal would also test that.

I had this problem once but sorry, stuffed if I can remember what it was.

shane wescott

I left the GTV6 to stand in the corner for a couple of hours to teach it a lesson.

And then the next time I turned the keys (after some nice polite words) it roared into life, gave a massive fart of white smoke, and off it went :-)

I always thought cars were better than women in that they don't crack it if you start driving another one - but clearly my GTV6 is more woman than car: -)

Thanks for the tips, I have assured the GTV6 that i will spend some quality time with it this long weekend.

I suppose now when i go out to give the Ducati a run it won't start until i promise to re lube the chain :-)

Spoilt brats my Italian kids are.
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Al Campbell

Sometimes they're not interested.
Sometimes you can convince them with patient, gentle coaxing.
When they go off all is forgiven.