Repairing Hail Damage

Started by Michael F, May 10, 2010, 08:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael F

Hi,

I am in the market for a 1750 GTV, and have found one in Perth. Unfortunately it got caught in the recent hail storm they had over there, and has been damaged. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on whether it is worth considering this car, and if so what's involved in repairing hail damage?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Michael.

Silver105

How many panels are damaged and what is the condition of the car in general ?

Michael F

I'm in Sydney, so have not looked at the car. I've had RAC look at the car, and there is alot of mechaincal work required. They refuse to inspect the body. The car has never been resprayed, or had any kind of body restoration, so I'm expecting it to have rust in all the usual places.

Not sure about the hail damage. I'm waiting for images. The Dealer tells me it will be fixed under insurance, but am worried about the quality of the repair.

Actually, if you know of a trusted Alfa mechanic in Perth who could inspect the car?

cjheath

Hail dents usually need heat-shrinks to pull them out, and on the roof, that means dropping the headlining so it doesn't burn, which requires removing the glass, a biggish job. I guess you could fill&respray before committing to a proper restoration, but it sounds like this car might need that at some stage anyhow.

meizhak

depending where it is I would be more than happy to inspect it for you and give you an honest opinion on the body work
1979 alfetta gtv 2000`
series 1 alfa 33 1.7i 16v

Fast Eddie

Yeah and i will come out with you for fun.  I think i know the car.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

105s alive alfa parts

If its the white 1750 i have checked it out, it has a reasonable interior, it seemed complete the dents are not too bad, bu there are a few, but it was way i mean way over priced for what it is, you can get a undamaged 1750 for that price that does not need any/much work.

Angelo
1970 1750 Concourse
1971 1750 (modified club racer)
1965 mustang fastback (i crossed to the dark side)
Wrecking: 3x 1750 series 2 gtv, 1750 Berlina

Michael F

Yes it is the white one. It's on carsales.com, and is with Cileberti Motors at Osborne Park on consignment.

I agree it does seem a bit over-priced, but I'm hoping he'll be prepared to negotiate. It's a long way for me to go for an Afla, but it is the exact model I'm after. Not too worried about the general condition, especially mechanically because I will be restoring it and keeping it for life (I just love this model Alfa). My main concern is the body. I want to get as good a body as possible. If the hail dents can be pulled out, and have not stretched the metal, then I'm OK with that.

Thanks for all your help guys.

105s alive alfa parts

Yes, i saw it at ciliberti's a couple of weeks ago they were asking 13k i am not sure what it is on carsales for, 1750 series 2 are very common and i have seen some good ones go for 7-8k that need a bit of work done but still running fine, but if your going to restore it then dents would not be that much of an issue as they were not that deep. I am only offering my advice here i have brought alot of 1750's and i offered 3k for it, its probably worth a little more but i was trying stirring up the guys there, if you want you can call me on 0413 305 306 if you want to know anything else about it, cheers

Ang
1970 1750 Concourse

Michael F

You think they are common? Please tell me where they are. The only source I have been able to find is carsales.com, and they seem to be way over-priced. This white one is the cheapest currently advertised on the website.

If you know any other ways to find 105's for sale please let me know. I would be very interested.

Silver105

Having just gone through this exercise to purchase the car I was after, I would post a message on this site, then keep an eye out on more than just carsales.com. Here are four options that are not listed on Carsales but that are for sale. All vary in price but it depends on the model your looking for, condition and your budget. Check the thread I posted " looking to buy excelllent 105..."someone posted that the last link indicating the Porsche classics listing was around $38 - $40K but it does look exceptional. Good luck.

1.  http://www.carsguide.com.au/search/?type=cars&N=4294962119+419+599++510+4294955816+++4294966022

2.  http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/search/vehicle-details/D_14121614/@type=cars&N=4294962119+418++510+++4294966008&searchType=3&vehicleType=3&pos=4&pr=P9440559&nr=D_14278096

3. http://digiads.com.au/carsales/used-cars/USED-1969-ALFA-ROMEO-105-COUPE-CAR-FOR-SALE-MELBOURNE-VIC-3146.htm  ( this looks like it may be an old ad, have not called the ad but the reg says expirey 05/08 ? )

4. http://www.porscheclassics.com.au/Cars/1974Alfa2000.htm

105s alive alfa parts

If you are after series 2 1750's they are most popular in W.A as other parts of Aust have more series 1's i can pass you on details of a friend that has a one of these for sale, licensed but in need of a fair bit of work but has had the head re-done not long ago and only wants $2350 for it, i would buy in but i already have too many and i dont have the paitence just yet for another alfa project.

Also if you are not a member of your state Alfa club get into contact with them as they might know where more are for sale as alot of older people that have alfa's can not use the internet so they just go through the club i have found a fair few good condition 105's this way.

Ang
1970 1750 Concourse

Michael F

Thanks for the extra sources. I will keep an eye on these. The 2000 looks nice, but I have my heart set on a 1750.

The 1750 for $ 2350 sounds interesting. Please ask your friend to email me at mdalla-f@bigpond.net.au