Should i buy a manual 156 JTS Wagon?

Started by rocoo1, April 20, 2010, 08:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocoo1

Hey guys,

I've been doing my research over the last month or so into buying a second hand 156 JTS manual sportswagon in the 2003 - 2005 range. Really love the styling and the wagon would be more practical for my needs. I'm getting very close to buying! 

However, my worry and reason i come for help and guidance is Alfa reliability! I've read a lot of information that says things will go wrong more often than not - that i would be up for an arm and a leg in service costs and general stuffs up in electrics and other items. I even read that 156's are known for their bonnet latch to unlock and wham o bonnet flys back to window that can cause all sorts of damage!!

All of this i kinda just pushed aside as an unlikely probability - that i would do my due dilegence in pre-purchase checks that would secure me a lovely reliable and pleasing car.

But today i have been spooked. I picked up a copy of the 'dog and the lemon' car guide and read the 156 review. OMG! It thrashed it with all sorts of reported common problems and errors. Not really a good word to be said at all! Wasn't really aware of these guide before, but i imagine in renowned for its cynical views.

I have always realised that in buying an alfa i would in all probability paying more for servicing and running costs, but what i don't want is a lemon or a dog which will end up being a money pit and in turn losing that driving pleasure.

Please can the alfa enthusiasts out there shed some light on those negative reviews and set me straight?

Brad M

The right place to come for feedback, but be warned most of us love our cars and their "issues".

Come on JTS/wagon owners, what's your view?
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Brad M

BTW: I'd buy it, my disclaimer being a troublesome Alfa with character is better than no Alfa at all.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

smitti52

Have had my 2006 2.0 JTS Selespeed Sports Wagon since Oct09. Absolutely no complaints. Long trips Bris to Sydney no problem.
Only problem is I wish it was Black instead of Blue.
It is important that you check oil and fluid levels EVERY week.
Good luck.

John Hanslow

There are not many around for sale but see how you go.  

My rule is always check your bonnet is secure when collecting 'any car' form a 3rd party.

The leman guide is a bit like Top Gear - lots of talk and hanging it on everyone.  Honestly, there have been issues with selespeed etc but the 156/147 is a pretty good car.  Some issues with the cars now may be due to poor or incomplete servicing due to budget constraints.

If the car has books, that's a bonus.  But get it checked out by one of out Vic sponsors etc.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Davidm1600

Quote from: rocoo1 on April 20, 2010, 08:08:16 PM
Hey guys,

I've been doing my research over the last month or so into buying a second hand 156 JTS manual sportswagon in the 2003 - 2005 range. Really love the styling and the wagon would be more practical for my needs. I'm getting very close to buying! 

However, my worry and reason i come for help and guidance is Alfa reliability! I've read a lot of information that says things will go wrong more often than not - that i would be up for an arm and a leg in service costs and general stuffs up in electrics and other items. I even read that 156's are known for their bonnet latch to unlock and wham o bonnet flys back to window that can cause all sorts of damage!!

All of this i kinda just pushed aside as an unlikely probability - that i would do my due dilegence in pre-purchase checks that would secure me a lovely reliable and pleasing car.

But today i have been spooked. I picked up a copy of the 'dog and the lemon' car guide and read the 156 review. OMG! It thrashed it with all sorts of reported common problems and errors. Not really a good word to be said at all! Wasn't really aware of these guide before, but i imagine in renowned for its cynical views.

I have always realised that in buying an alfa i would in all probability paying more for servicing and running costs, but what i don't want is a lemon or a dog which will end up being a money pit and in turn losing that driving pleasure.

Please can the alfa enthusiasts out there shed some light on those negative reviews and set me straight?

Hi Rocco,

I have a '03 JTS Manual Sportwagon, and have had it for the past two 1/2 years so am reasonably well placed to comment on the reliability issue etc.  Moreover, I have owned Alfas since 1983, (including Alfettas, and 105 GTV, Berlina and Giulia Supers). Over the years I have driven/ridden in the majority of Alfas sold here in Aus, let alone have family and mates who also own Alfas so know one or two things about them.

So before getting on to your questions re the 156, let me dispell the bad press from the D&L guide.  I too have read it and so decided to query the rationale behind the entry for Alfas inc the 156 in it. The editor wrote  back saying that his only personal experience was with a rusty Alfasud back in the 80s, and from what he had read elsewhere and/or had been advised of.  So much for the reliability of that so called expert guide.  Frankly it has two uses, as a firelighter or for mulch in the garden. 

So, back to the 156.  All what has been said above by the other people posting is correct, but and I can only really speak from my own experience with my wagon. Yes they are practical, let alone stylish.  I can fit my mini -mal surfboard in it, (7'8"). Let alone the myriad of building materials I have carried in it for our our house restoration project.  It has been fantastic for also carrying our camping equipment when we have gone car camping on surfin safari up the east coast of Tassie etc. Let alone up to the ski-fields.  It is hugely comfortable for the long journeys and extremely well equipped not just for comfort but as well safety.  And importantly I really enjoy driving it.  It is the first modern car I have ever owned.

Ok, so I bought my car 2nd hand over the net (carsales.com.au) from a small wholesaler in Sydney.  I didn't even get it checked out by a mechanic.  I was happy with the look of it and the apparent honesty of the seller. It was a one owner car from new, always correctly serviced etc.  I have the books which show this. If you can get one checked though it is a good idea.

I paid $20K and it had 89,500 km on the clock.  It was the best deal I could find at the time, as manual sportwagons are hard to find.  Obviously since then it has gone down in resale value and if I were to sell it now, would probably only get around $15500 or so for it.  It now has 105,000km on the clock. I liked the metallic blue/charcoal leather combo it came in. 

The car drove like a dream on the road journey down the Pacific Hwy back to Tas.  My car has the Bose hifi upgrade which is really excellent.  I have read some negative comments re the AC, but my car's AC is fine.  I think the pre JTS model's system was not as efficient. Fuel economy is superb not just in the city but truely excellent for long journeys. Approx 6-7L/100km or so. 

As to the bonnet latch thing, that is the first I have ever heard of this and I can say that mine is totally secure. I have had a few niggling problems with the rear hatch not wanting to close at times,  but that is the latching mechanism sticking which can be readily sorted by a little lubricant.  I suspect my catch probably needs replacing.  Minor issue as far as I am concerned.

Now to the electrical gremlins, yes I have heard/read about these, but have had no issues with the electrics. It all works perfectly.  The only two problems I have ever had with my car, was first that an engine emissions management sensor died, (cost $240 inc labour), and more recently a motor management sensor (ie to do with the distributor) died, which cost $470 inc labour.  The standard suspension is on the soft side and at some point (when I have some spare funds) I will upgrade the shocks to Konis, I also need to replace a squeaking front sway bar bush (which apparently is a common fault). 

Normal servicing costs have been less than $200, while recently I put a new set of Pirelli P7s to replace the previous Michelin Pilots.  Cost was approx $900 fitted, balanced to each rim and with a 6 month warrantee from Bob Jane.

I will need to do the timing belts etc somewhere around the 110,000-115,000 km mark and this I expect to cost somewhere around $800-900.  This is a must do item as to have the belts fail means a very costly engine rebuild. They must be done at or before every 60,000km.

So all in all, from my experience, my 156 has not been a money pit, and actually has been very reliable, which from experience, is about on par with the previous/current other Alfas I own, though the GTV is currently sleeping waiting for its restoration, which I am still working on finishing the Giulia Super's restoration.  Hope that helps a little for your decision making. Good luck in the hunt for one.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

alfaboy156

Do urself a favour buy it !  ::)  i have a 02/03 JTS sedan and love it and yes it has its issues but i dont mind ! no matter what sort of day i have had when i get in to it i just smile :) its true love LOL as mentioned its all part and parcel of AR ownership  i had a 156 TS selespeed and i loved that 2 but i have to admit that transmission drove me insane :(
they are special model in the family tree as well!

alfaboy156

rocoo1

Thank you guys - really appreciate it! Especially Dave for your detailed thoughts and your experiences.

I think i just needed the reassurance to go forth...the main difficulty now is finding a manual 156 JTS Wagon. Rare as hens teeth. There's a couple interstate that i will now consider.

In terms of key criteria before purchase, the timing (cam) belt replacement is obviously important as is a sound documented service history. What else are tell tale signs that they car hasn't been cared for?

Davidm1600

Hey not a problem, glad to be of some help.  Obvious signs, while I havn't heard of any seriously bad issues, but for a start make sure it doesn't have poor bodywork/paint, clunky suspension, dodgy brakes, dud electrics, damage to the interior trim, engine missing or stalling, awkward gearchanges etc. It is possible there are cars out there with such issues.

However, in general from my observations, while 156s have come down significantly in price from when they were new (ie $55k for my car), most cars I have seen seem at least to be in good visual condition. So if it looks in good nick, has a full service history, and drives well then you are probably likely to get a good one.

A proper inspection by an Alfa mechanic or dealers is the most valuable way of protecting your interests, especially since a '03-06 JTS is between 7-4 years old. 

I would be cautions if the engine has been rebuilt or replaced, and you might want to look a little more closely at its history. 

I know of at least one 156 wagon (twinspark, sillyspeed) down here in Hobart, for instance which I would touch with a barge pole.  Apparently had a major front end collision, and was not properly repaired.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Craig_m67

I've a Nero Black '03 156 Sportwagon 1.9JTD 8V(115CV/85KW Turismo/Progression) which i'm thinking of selling to fund a 101/750 Spider or another Duetto.  We brought it back from the UK with us last year (import thread here).

Yes, it's a 1.9JTD - possibly the only 156 JTD in the country?  During my ownership (within the last 8K miles or so) It's had the following consumables: Cambelt, MAF, MAP, EGR, ARB & upper/lower front wishbones, rear transverse links & bushes, front rotors and pads all round.  Fitted a new clutch last month. It's about to hit 88K miles. Gets between 4~7l/100ks round Brissy (right foot dependant).

They're fantastic cars - ours has only let us down once (crank sensor failed). 

I don't really use it - can walk to work, hence the desire for weekend car again (I miss my duetto).  
Ironically, I prefer them in dark blue  :)
Insurance is through Shannons for those of weak import heart.

If you're interested ping me below

Craig_m67@hotmail.com
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)