1750 GTV Restoration Questions

Started by acresci, January 27, 2010, 11:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acresci

Hi all - I have a few queries in relation to my 150GTV Mk 1 restoration;

1) I am in the process of removing my engine/gearbox to repaint & detail the engine bay and have noticed mods made by the original owner. Do you have any information highlighting where each cable/loom/hose etc is supposed to protrude through the engine bay? Where is the best place to source new firewall grommets?

2) I would like to install all original decals in the engine bay - where is the place best to source these from and do you know what goes where?

3) Best place to source dash/console veneer?

4) Best place to source original seat cover kits?

5) Do you know correct colours for oil filler cap, overflow cap, bonnet catches, brake booster, everything else in the engine bay - I have seen some in gold, some in silver (all anodised I assume) & booster in black. Any original photos would help?

6) Was the black used on the air filter, oil filter canister and other 'black' items in the engine bay matt, satin or gloss?

7) Do you have a photo of a S1 brake booster. I believe mine has a S2 as one of the outlets has been plugged?

8) There is a breather hose which goes from the oil filler to the air filter which has a in-line t-piece. Off this t-piece runs a smaller hose which drops down past one of the carbies , which is plugged at the end (ie. not connected to anything). What is supposed to do?

9) Where can I source a new cowl/scuttle drain hose as mine has perished (mine is non-ribbed)?

10) My dash has a green light, blue light and amber/red light - what does the amber/red light do? Do you have a photo showing the correct location of these as the PO drilled an additional hole on the far RHS veneer and installed a switch for a thermo fan (ie. now I have three holes in lieu of two and not sure which one goes where)?

11) Can the rear trailing arms be removed easily (ie I wish to paint them)?

12) The pin on the RHS front qtr window hinge has sheared - where can I source another one from?

13) What are the correct oils to use (ie. engine/gearbox/diff/clutch/brakes etc)?

14) Is a S1 supposed to have separate brake & clutch reservoirs?

Many regards.

Evan Bottcher

Wow that's a nice selection of questions - hope you get all the answers.  I'll have a crack at a couple.

Quote from: acresci on January 27, 2010, 11:04:57 AM
1) I am in the process of removing my engine/gearbox to repaint & detail the engine bay and have noticed mods made by the original owner. Do you have any information highlighting where each cable/loom/hose etc is supposed to protrude through the engine bay? Where is the best place to source new firewall grommets?

I have a copy of the factory shop and parts manual for the 1968 1750 GTV and Spider.  If yours is a series 1, it should be the same.  The parts manual has some reasonable diagrams of the hoses and cables that go through the firewall.  Problem is... I can't find it just now.  Will track it down later and upload some pages.

http://www.alfaholics.com/parts_by_car/coupe/alfa_romeo_rubber_seals/
http://www.highwoodalfa.com/4c509d72-422c-41d9-8074-c6314a85c2a2-9.html

2) I would like to install all original decals in the engine bay - where is the place best to source these from and do you know what goes where?

The usual places (e.g. alfaholics, classic alfa, highwood alfa stock them) e.g.:
http://www.highwoodalfa.com/808619f4-f37e-4b07-8615-bdc9dd50f05d-9.html

Someone here might suggest that the Australian delivery cars might have had different stickers - I'm not sure myself.

3) Best place to source dash/console veneer?
4) Best place to source original seat cover kits?

Again there might be more "best" places, but I would go with Alfaholics, Highwood, or Classic Alfa at this stage.  This is based on reputation online.
http://www.alfaholics.com/
http://www.highwoodalfa.com
http://www.classicalfa.com/

7) Do you have a photo of a S1 brake booster. I believe mine has a S2 as one of the outlets has been plugged?

I've attached a photo (from AlfaBB) which shows the correct (I believe) Lockheed booster.  It is more square in cross-section than the Benditalia booster.  I believe the Lockheed repair kits are becoming scarce, Alfaholics appears to stock them but quite expensive.  My booster is plated in green, I don't know if that is original.

I highly recommend if you don't already - do some searches on AlfaBB.com.  That site has a huge amount of information and advice.  It can be a little US-centric of course.

Good luck,

Evan.

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

Here is the page for RHD cars.  Sorry for the quality of the scan - the manual is bound and I can't take the pages out to scan.

A is obviously the steering
D are both the heater hoses
E is the scuttle drain
B is the wiring loom

I've already forgotten what the others are, even though I only stripped most of this in the last few months.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Here's another couple in case they are useful - the Lockheed servo (no other servo is shown in this 1968 parts manual).  The other is not so useful, just a cool diagram.  Does show the single reservoir that serves the brake and clutch.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Here's another supplier for engine bay decals:

http://www.carclassic.biz/

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Davidm1600

Evan is correct re that is some list of questions and his advice is excellent.  I have prevously bought quite a lot of parts from my two 105 projects from Classic Alfa (Richard Norris).  Ditto, though also here in Aus from Milano Spares (Thomas Town - Melbourne), speak to Marc or one of the other guys there. 

I bought my stickers from a dealer on Ebay.  Can't recall who the seller was but probably the same one Evan mentions.

Re the colour of the oil filler cap, to the best of my knowledge it was never painted and all you should need to do is polish it, ditto the radiator overflow bottle catch.  Re, the use of gloss vrs matt black, again to the best of my knowledge, the tubular air cleaner should be gloss, as similarly I would have thought the Oil filter canister.  The bonnet catch on the firewall on other hand I am pretty certain should not be painted, while the latch or striker on the bonnet painted body colour.

re the dash lights I will have to check my car, or reference books, I can't quite recall the setup for these lights.

Hopefully someone else can answer some of your other questions.  Best of luck with the restoration, and as per Evan's recommendation, I too can highly recommend the BB.  I am regularly on line there (super1600).  Regards Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina